Chapter 22: Green-Eyed Rabbit

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I wasn't supposedly or should feel embarrassed but I did, for real, I had always acted it but not now. That was low-key embarrassing. Then there was that small annoying tug on my sleeve, I looked at her. Mina lifted her hand and stroked my cheeks. "Your face is on fire. You look like larva. The small red one. Are you sick?" She asked with worried eyes but that tiny tugged on the corner of her lips and the mocking gaze behind her innocent eyes told a different meaning. She was having fun.

I forced a tight-lipped smile and shook my head. She was too comfortable with me lately, that annoying penguin. I'd definitely pay that back. She kissed my cheeks, "Let me get you a bottle of water. You seem unwell." She walked away with that irritating smile on her face. I rubbed my eyebrow, dammit.

"Son Chaeyoung"

I turned to the voice calling and was met with Mr Kimi along with Mrs Eri beside him. I bowed slightly and greeted them. Mr Kimi smiled, "Congratulations and welcome to the Hirai. You've done a great work. Oh wait, it's Director Son now. If you face any problem, don't hesitate to come to us. We will give our best to help you. We are a family now. A family should care for each other. Have faith in us, we will never abandon any of our members unless they abandon us first" Nothing changed in his expression, from the beginning, his dimpled smiley cheeks were shown. Instead, his tone on the last sentence lowered. There was threat hiding behind his voice.

Mrs Eri giggled and pinched her husband's ear which earned a groan from him. Mr Kimi laughed and the thick atmosphere that surrounded us earlier vanished. "Don't mind him. He's too invested in action movies these days. He is imitating one of the character's famous dialogue."

I joined their laughter, not understanding. This family was one weird family. Everything was light, there was no tension, no pressure, everyone was just happy and laid back. That was unusual coming from a generational business. Mrs Eri turned to me and handed a white envelope. "Here, tickets to the Les Miserables musical theatre performance. Take some rest and spend time with your fiancee. You were busy with the campaign, she must be longed for you. This is a gift from me, Mina seems to have an old soul. She's wise. I hope she likes it"

Indeed since I worked my ass off for the campaign, ever since we signed the agreement, I never take her out. She was dragged here and there, attending all of the events and played her role. Other than that, she would stay at home or be with her sister. I should perhaps bring her out somewhere without eyes watching us. Place where she could be her true self and not acting, just to appreciate her effort all this time.

The sun was setting and there were only little swallows left in the sky. A lot of workers had gone home. There were few left behind in the building. I still had works to take care of. After talking to the sales manager, I went to the ground floor and met Mina who was waiting at the cafeteria. I escorted her out and hailed a cab, opening the door for her as she went inside. I leaned down, "Let's dine outside, I'll send you the address. I've book a table under my name. See you there at eight sharp"

She looked up and was about to open her mouth but immediately shut it down. Her eyes glimpsed to the front. I followed her gaze and saw the reflection of the taxi driver from the rearview. She turned to me and slightly tugged my tie, pulling me lower. I grabbed the car door jamb, keeping my balance. She slant closer, brushing her lips against my cheeks and to my ears, "Who are we meeting? You have to tell me so I can prepare myself" she softly whispered.

I kissed her cheeks, "No one. It's just the two of us. So wear what you are comfortable with, be yourself." We pulled away and there was confusion written on her face but she nodded anyway. I watched the cab drove away and entered the building to finish some of my hanging works.