The Funeral-Diana Only

Blaise, Alaire, and I left school that evening for home. Elaine's funeral would be Friday, the first funeral I would actually remember attending. I attended my father's funeral, but I was only a baby.

"I can't believe she's gone," Alaire whispers as I help her unpack.

"Me neither. But we need to be strong and together, alright? You can't go anywhere alone anymore, okay?" I tell Alaire.

"What?! Why?!" Alaire stomps her foot.

"You don't understand. Both of us are valuable. We can be sold into marriage or even held hostage. Have a buddy, maybe even Jensi Khan, Ella's brother," I tell her.

"He's a year old," Alaire reminds me.

"You two are friends, right?" I ask her. She blushes and nods.

"You have a crush, don't you?" I ask, poking my sister.

"Maybe...he's really sweet," Alaire says.

"I'm sure, Mrs. Khan," I tease. Alaire hits me.

"Okay, Mrs. Malfoy," She retorts.

"Oh, I'm cool with that! You may call me Mrs. Malfoy from now on," I joke. Alaire decides to tuck in early, so I leave her room and walk to a place I haven't been to in ages. The Clubhouse.

I open the door, everything still in place. It was like it was frozen in time. The bright blue piano sat at the same place, the couches by a fireplace were still there, and Elaine's bedroom hadn't changed a bit.

I had only been in Elaine's room a few times, we usually hung out in the main area of the Clubhouse. This is where Elaine taught me how to play the piano. I was only five at the time

-flashback-

I skip to the Clubhouse, holding my favorite doll, Lucy, in my hands. Elaine and I loved to play dolls together. She would help me build the most elaborate dollhouses with working elevators, stairs, and more.

I heard a strange noise, coming I hadn't heard coming from the Clubhouse. I walk inside, and there she was, sitting and playing Beethoven on the piano.

"Can I try?" I ask, suddenly forgetting about playing with my dolls.

Elaine chuckles. "Sit here, and I'll teach you the basics. Soon, you'll be playing with me. You pick things up pretty fast,"

I sit next to her on the bench and Elaine scoots over. 

"There are eight types of notes. Do, Rei, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, and back to Do. It repeats over and over again," Elaine explains. She takes my tiny hands and places them on the notes, my thumbs both on Middle C.

"Try Do, then Rei, then Mi," Elaine points at my fingers. I press them, hearing the notes echo from the piano.

"You did it! Try again, it's building muscle memory," Elaine tells me, and I try again, faster this time.

"You're doing it!" Elaine squeals. "You pick this up fast. Let's keep going," She continues to teach me, and by supper, I had learned enough to play a duet with Elaine.

-end of flashback-

I smile sadly, placing my hand on a small dent in the wall.

-flashback-

"Coming through!" Blaise charges through the door with a training broom in hand. Mother wouldn't let us get regular brooms, even at the age of nine. Nonetheless, Blaise still enjoyed his broom.