Return to Hogwarts

Diana:

The summer passed by slowly. I spent most of it with Theo and Pansy, which was a bit awkward because both of them like me, but it was okay nonetheless. They let me cry and be vulnerable around them, comforting me and trying to make me smile. But the day of heading to Hogwarts came.

"Please, Mother. Don't make me go," I beg Mother the morning of.

"You have to go or else you won't graduate," Mother replies, sitting in my room. I wipe my eyes.

"But...I can't leave you and Sable. And I wouldn't do well there either, seeing Malfoy and Snape," I reason, trying to find every possible excuse to stay home.

Mother strokes my cheek. "I miss her too," She says.

I scoff. "You miss her when she's gone. You never cared about her like Blaise and I did. You kept her hidden because you were ASHAMED, not for her SAFETY. You never cared, you only cared about yourself and your image," I spit. Mother winces, that hit a tough spot.

"Darling, I know you need to grieve, but you also need to go to school. Tell you what? I'll see how I can make it work for both of us," She says, thinking for a moment.

"Seventh-year Potions is optional, correct?" Mother asks.

"Only if you're ahead a year in Potions," I reply. She continues thinking.

"Well, Severus will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year, so I guess no escaping that...oh wait! One moment," She runs to her room, and a few minutes later, returns.

"So no DADA for my girl," Mother winks.

"What did you do?" I ask warily.

"Oh, an old trick I've used in the past," Mother says airily.

"So, that's it?" I ask. Mother nods.

"I'll go," I reply.

I change into a light hoodie and an old pair of jeans and head to the train station with Blaise and Alaire. Blaise hurries into another cart with Miles and Brian, and Alaire goes to sit with her friends. I rub my tired eyes and walk through the carts, looking for somewhere to sit.

"Over here," Theo beckons me over, patting a seat next to him. He's sitting alone.

Weirdly, our friendship has turned a bit romantic since the incident. And to be honest, I love it. He's not afraid to show his sweet side, he's fun, spunky, and so caring. And I've mentioned this before, but incredibly handsome.

Theo kisses my cheek and holds my hand. "I'm glad you decided to come," He says softly. I rest my head on his shoulder, holding back my tears,

"Hey," He lifts my head. "Elaine would have wanted for you to be happy, right?" Theo asks.

I think for a moment. Theo was right. Elaine would have wanted me to live my dreams and remembered her not by how she left us, but by how she lived. 

"Yeah," I reply, and for the first time in three months, I smile. Theo's smile grows and plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you," He whispers.

I love you. What do I do? Do I say it back? Do I love him?

Yes, I do. Malfoy is out of the picture.

"I love you more," I reply.

"Of course you do," Theo teases. He opens a pack of sugar quills and offers me one. I happily accept and chew on it.

"Malfoy-you know what, never mind. Let's go sit with Miles and Brian," Theo decides.

"Okay," I reply getting my things and heading to the next cart. Brian and Miles are talking, teasing each other and Blaise was laughing along, egging them on.

"Oh, hey guys! We'll scoot over," Blaise says. Millicent entes the cart from the other side and wraps me in a hug.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," She says.

"Thanks," I mumble, trying not to regress and go back to crying. 

"So, Theo and Diana, hey?" Miles teases.

"Shut up. Last I heard, you have your eye on Graham Montague," I retort.

"Back up! I'm clearly missing something," Blaise says, shocked. Brian laughs as Miles turns pink.

"Oh my Godric, Millicent and I have been seeing it unfold since fourth year. I think he likes you, Miles," I reply as the train jolts and starts to move.

"Stop, he could hear you," Miles says, trying to hide his blush. Theo tosses his arm over my shoulder and I lean into his embrace.

"No, keep going!" Blaise says. "I want him to hear it. There's nothing better than two of my close friends who like each other and the tension is so thick," Miles hits Blaise playfully on the arm.

Draco:

I saw her. After months of wondering if she was okay, if was still alive, I saw Diana.

Her eyes were tired, the twinkle in them gone. When she passed me, I don't think she noticed me, she was making a beeline for Theo.

And then, they left, heading for Blaise's cart with Miles and Brian. I heard Diana laugh as they tease Miles about his crush on Graham Montague. I wish I was there, and she wasn't mad at me. That we were still together, that she was still there to support me.

Especially after this summer's events.

Diana was right, though I didn't want to, I followed in the dark footsteps of my family. I became a DeathEater on my sixteenth birthday and was ordered to kill Dumbledore. It's safe to say that was the worst birthday ever.

"Hello, Draco," A voice says. Astoria Greengrass. I guess I'm dating her, she's just around for my image. She thinks that this will last forever.

"Hello," I say, clearly disinterested. She sits next to me and doesn't say anything the whole eight hours to Hogwarts.

Theo and Diana walk out, hand in hand, talking with Blaise, Millicent, Brian and Miles. I catch one more look at her. To my surprise, she looks back.

The twinkle in her eye fades. Her eyes are now emotionless until she turns back to Theo, smiling and blushing away.

I walk with Astoria right next to them, but Diana seems unfazed.

"There he is! Go, Miles, go!" Diana shoves Miles closer to Graham.

"Uh-uh. Absolutly not," He replies and retreats.

"Montague!" Diana calls and beckons him over.

"Damn it, Diana!" Miles attempts to hide behind Blaise, but it didn't work.

"We'll leave you two alone," Diana chuckles and walks with Theo. He kisses her, and my entire body fills with rage, jealousy, and hurt. My stomach churns and twists, I couldn't take this.

"Are you alright, Draco?" Astoria asks.

"No," I answer honestly and run to my dorm.

A/N: Welcome to sixth year. If you thought fifth year was a rollercoaster, wait for this year...