October 15th, 1996

Diana:

October 15th. This would have been Elaine's seventeenth birthday, had she still been living with us, memories and all. From what the Ministry has told us, she has been put with a Muggle family in New York City. They can't restore her memories, but she's safe.

Or that's what we all thought.

The letter comes at breakfast. An unknown owl flew into the Great Hall and drops a letter right by Blaise and me.

"It's addressed to the both of us," I tell Blaise. He scoots closer.

"That's a Ministry seal," Blaise observes. I open the letter.

Dear Blaise and Diana Zabini, 

With great sadness, we inform you that your sister, Elaine, has died in New York yesterday, October fourteenth. The exact cause is unknown, but many of our spies say Bellatrix Lestrange apparated to her Muggle home and killed her. 

A thorough investigation is underway, and we shall keep you updated. We send our condolences for your loss.

The Ministry of Magic.

I re-read over and over, the words unable to stick. She was gone, forever. 

"No. No, this can't be real, it HAS to be fake!" I cry, tears streaming down my cheeks. Theo glances towards the door then runs to hug me.

"Hey hey, it's gonna be okay," Theo whispers. This is just making it worse. Theo and I keep fighting, yet he still wants us to seem perfect. Not to mention that I keep thinking about Ma-I mean Draco. Wishing that this was him holding me and letting me cry.

"I won't let Malfoy anywhere near you. It's his fault, unable to keep a sec-" Theo starts.

"Says the person who blatantly admitted he has no filter," I interrupt, able to stop crying for a moment.

"Still he won't get anywhere near us," Theo says quickly.

"I need to take a walk," I say, hurrying out of my seat and trying to make my way out of the Great Hall before I bump into-

"Greengrass," I mutter, staring at the uglier, meaner version of Daphne.

"I saw your little crush on my boyfriend," Astoria sneers. I keep walking, so done with this BS.

"He's mine, you know," Astoria pesters.

"Really? Because he seems to be avoiding you 24/7, "I snap, not even turning around.

"T-that's not true!"Astoria's voice fades away as I shut the door of the Room of Requirements. Someone turns around, their wand pointed at me.

"Who's there?" A very familiar voice asks.

"D-Diana," I stutter. The figure walks closer to the light.

"Draco?" I ask.

"What are you doing...why are you crying?" Draco asks. He opens his arms and I run into them, the hug comforting me.

"They...they killed Elaine," I choke out, hysterically crying now. I take a deep breath to steady myself.

"Who?" Draco asks me.

"B...Bellatrix," I stammer. When I look up, his face is rigid with anger. I fall back into his hug.

"You still give the best hugs," I whisper. Draco chuckles.

"I'm glad Nott hasn't surpassed me in one thing," He replies.

"He hasn't surpassed you," I tell Draco staring in his stormy-colored eyes. He smiles.

"He's not better at comforting me, or knowing me well enough to not push my buttons, he cannot get social signals to save his life..."

"So why are you with him? You guys seemed better off as friends," Draco observes. A couch appears and we sit on it, Draco's arm on my shoulder.

"I don't know. I guess I needed some sort of support," I reply honestly.

Draco nods, playing with my hair. "That's why I'm dating Astoria, though it's more so the Malfoy image is intact," I try not to laugh.

"What's funny?" Draco asks, curious.

"Your girlfriend approached me in the halls with an attitude," Draco laughs.

"I heard it, I was on my way up here. She had some nerve," Draco keeps playing with my hair, but moves to draw shapes on my arm.

"You can say that again," I chuckle. Draco's smiles falls into a look of focus and sadness.

"Di, I know I screwed up, and I know that things may never be the same. But, can we try?" Draco asks.

My heart felt like it was going to explode. Would things really return to normal?

Before I could answer, the door opens.

"Oi, get off my girl, Malfoy! You had your chance, and you screwed up!" Theo charges towards Draco but I stand up.

"Theo, listen to me. Please," I beg. Theo starts to calm down.

"We both needed to get out of what we were in, but..."

"This isn't working?" Theo asks. "I was kind of thinking that too,"

Which begs the question why he was so overprotective.

"Friends?" I ask.

"Of course, you're like a sister to me," Theo smiles. "I'll see you back in the Common Room,"

I turn to face Draco, his smile big.

Draco:

"Well, that went smoother than expected," Diana chuckles a bit. The dim light made her look even more beautiful, like an angel in the dark. I could almost see the halo.

I trace my fingers on her cheek, feeling the warmth of her skin on my fingertips. She smiles peacefully.

"Can we try this?" I ask softly. Diana is silent for a moment.

"I wouldn't want anything more," She replies.

My heart races. It was finally happening.

 "But," There it was. The word I had been dreading. "I feel like I'm betraying my family. My father, my sister, my own blood," Diana says.

Of course, I understand her feelings, but I just wish she would think less with her head and more with her heart. And maybe I can help with that.

"But what do you want?" I ask.

Without hesitation, she replies. "To live happily ever after with you,"

Almost there. "And wouldn't your father and sister want that too?" I ask softly.

Diana sits on the couch, closing her eyes. "No matter what happens, love who you love, be who you are, and never apologize for that," She whispers. A quote from a letter her father wrote for her fourteenth birthday. Diana stands up and kisses me.

Victory. I finally feel her soft lips against mine, and that tiny smile form.

"I love you, Draco Malfoy," She whispers.

"And I love you, Diana Aryelle Zabini," I reply.

This day has finally come. But will it stay forever?

I will make it stay forevery.

A/N: Yay they got back together!