Christmas at the Malfoy Manor

Diana:

Christmas came quicker than anyone, especially me, expected. I decided to go to the Malfoy Manor for Christmas, knowing that it would save me from more of Mother's poisonous words.

In all honesty, I would much rather go to the Burrow. It's much more inviting, and the Weasley family is very kind, especially Mrs. Weasley. I know I'm supposed to hate them, but who can hate Molly Weasley?! 

"Ready?" Draco asks me as we get off the train.

"Yeah," I give Blaise a final hug goodbye as we head in the opposite direction. Draco's driver gives Draco a small nod and opens the doors to the Mercedes.

"Welcome back, Mister Malfoy. Miss Zabini, always a pleasure," His driver, Malcolm greets us.

"Likewise, Malcolm," I reply politely. He places our bags in the trunk and opens the passenger doors for Draco and me. Draco offers me a small smile.

"What's wrong?" We ask each other at the same time and laugh.

"You know why I'm nervous," Draco whispers.

How could I not? Lucius is a hard person to get along with. "Yeah, I do," 

"Why are you so nervous?" Draco nudges me. "You're supposed to be the calm one," I chuckle.

"I have no idea. I'm probably just overreacting," I reply. We talk about Christmas together until the manor pulls into view.

To say the manor is gloomy is an understatement. The manor's dim color, horrid memories, and radiating arrogance made the house stiff, cryptic, and uninviting. It affected everything else around it. The grass was nearly dead and not a single thing was white, making the house drearier.

"Welcome home, Mister Malfoy," Malcolm says as we both get out of the car. Draco thanks him and we both walk in.

The inside is elegantly designed with expensive artwork and feels like a castle. Only nowhere near as friendly. The only thing that I could say is friendly is Narcissa Malfoy. She walks down the stairs in an elegant dress and hugs Draco.

"Diana, it is so wonderful to have you here!" Narcissa hugs me.

"It's great to be here. Thank you for allowing me to stay," I reply.

"It's no problem. Your dinner will be ready soon, so in the meantime, go and freshen up," We walk upstairs and Draco shows me my room, which was much more inviting than the rest of the house. The four-poster bed had beautiful white and green sheets on it, and the view overlooked the gazebo, the only place with green grass. Huh, I guess there is some friendliness in this manor after all. I unpack my trunk and hang up my coats. Draco knocks on the door. 

"Princess, I have a surprise for you," He says through the door.

"The door's unlocked and my eyes are closed," I shut my eyes. I hear the door open and footsteps approach me. 

"Hold out your hands," Draco instructs and I do. He places a long box in it. 

"Now open," He whispers. I open my eyes, and there sat the most amazing necklace I had ever seen. It was a set of notes, which I recognize as the note of Blackbird, each with a little diamond at the top.

"Oh my...Draco it's so pretty!" I kiss him happily and he helps me put it on. I beam as I stare in the mirror.

"That reminds me, I have something for you," I hand him the same Nimbus broom model Blaise had bought me, but with a special engraving.

"Woah! Diana, how did you get this?" He asks.

"My connections," I joke. "Look here," I point to the engraving. "To Draco Lucius, never forget how much I love you,"

"Diana it's amazing," Draco gushes. We both smile as we head down for dinner. Lucius sits at the table with Narcissa and I tense up. I put on a brave face and smile.

"Hello, Lucius. It's nice to see you," I greet him politely.

"And you as well, Diana," He replies, slightly disinterested. I sit next to Draco and sip at my soup.

"So," Lucius caught my attention. "I hear you two are dating?" He asks. It takes everything in me to not choke on my soup.

"We are," Draco replies shortly.

"And you both seem very happy," Narcissa smiles. "Tell me, Diana. How is your family?" 

My mind wants to tell her about Mother and the horrible verbal abuse, and the real reason she keeps getting new husbands like they are new robes on sale. But, I simply say "Mother is doing just fine. And Blaise is doing well. They both send their regards," Narcissa smiles and Lucius looks me straight in the eyes as if he's challenging me. I'm not scared of him, so I stare back, accepting his challenge.

"Have you thought about a career path yet?" Lucius asks me. "No doubt something you can quit when you get married," 

"Yes actually. I would love to be something that requires extensive knowledge in Potions. I've always found it fascinating," I smile.

"How lovely," Narcissa replies as we move to our entree course. I cut my steak into smaller pieces and I felt Lucius's stare down my back.

"Would you please excuse us?" Lucius asks Narcissa and me as he drags Draco out of the room. Narcissa gives me a sympathetic smile.

"Diana, I heard some rumors about your mother's," Narcissa searches for the right word. "Behavior towards you. Is that true?" She asks kindly.

I can only nod. Narcissa's smile fades into a frown. "Oh, my dear that is horrific. You are welcome here anytime you wish. Your brother as well," We share a knowing glance before Lucius and Draco return to the table. Draco's once pleasant smile had faded with the breeze. After dessert was served, Draco excused himself and Narcissa went to follow him. That left Lucius and me.

"Ah, young love. Enjoy it while it lasts. A good thing to know, Diana Aryelle, is those good things never last forever," Lucius threatens.

I say nothing as I head up the stairs to my room.

Draco:

"Whatcha doing?" I ask Diana as I flop onto her bed. She looks up from her book and smiles a bit. 

"I'm reading," She replies, turning the page.

"Come do something fun with me," I pull the book out of her hands.

"The last time we did something fun here, the entire manor almost burnt down," We both laugh.

"It wasn't my fault that the cookies burnt!" I argue.

"We forgot about them until they started burning!" Diana laughs.

"That was when we were in second year. It felt like ages ago," I smile. Diana nods.

"What did your father talk to you about?" She asks.

"He was saying good things don't last forever, or something like that. I didn't pay much attention," Diana's eyes went wide.

"Are you absolutely certain he said that?" Diana asks.

"Why?" I reply nervously.

"He said the same thing to me," She whispers.

We sit in silence, thinking about what that could mean. My mind ran through every possibility of what that could have meant. But, nothing came to mind.

"Maybe it's a good thing?" Diana wonders.

"My father? Giving positive advice? Very funny, love," I reply. Diana laughs to herself and places her head on my shoulder. I kiss the top of her head and we both stare at the ceiling.

"Hey," I look at my beautiful girlfriend and best friend. "We'll always have each other, right?" Diana says hopefully.

"Yeah," I reply, trying to sound as optimistic as possible. Who knew what was into store for us?

Little did we know what we were in store for.

A/N: The foreshadowingggggggggg! Do you guys like the new covers? Let me know!!