Memory Attacks

Diana:

"You seriously are back to being friends with Malfoy?" Theo asks, practically yelling at me when he visits my dorm.

"What's it to you?" I snap, trying to conceal my hurt. I hate it when people yell at me, especially boys. My body tenses up and I feel small.

"UGH! You don't get it, do you?" He asks, angry and frustrated.

"Sounds like someone's jealous," I mutter as I fix my hair in the mirror.

"Excuse me?!" Theo yells and I noticeably wince.

"Say it to my face," He orders, and just as I'm about to turn around, someone knocks on the door.

"Don't open that," Theo orders.

"Oh I'm sorry, I don't take orders from men who think ordering women around is the right way to go. You are free to leave, asshole," I snap, so done with this. I fling the door wide open. Blaise is on the other side of the door.

"Don't yell at my sister, you understand?" He seethes, grabbing Theo by his collar.

"Y-yes," Theo stutters and runs to his dorm. Blaise comes in as I hang up my robe, pressing firmly on my nightgown to straighten the non-existent wrinkles.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah," I lie.

"I shouldn't have asked. You're not okay, I can tell. You always fidget with your robes when you're not okay," Blaise rests his hand on my shoulder and I wipe my eyes, trying not to cry.

"C'mere," My big brother lets me hide behind him like I used to do as a kid. I choke out a single sob, then swallow my pain.

"Why-is-he-so-mean?" I hiccup out.

"He's just threatened by Malfoy, but I won't let him do that to you again," I sit on my bed and Blaise smiles sadly.

"You good?" He asks.

"Yeah," I stand up. "Yeah," I say again, believing it a bit more.

"Alright. See you in the morning, Di. Sleep well," We do our handshake before saying goodbye. The second Blaise closes the door, I let out a long exhale.

Why does life have to be so up and down sometimes?

I head to bed, letting myself drift away into a world of my own. 

Unfortunately, that world was not so inviting. Nightmares fill my mind of Theo and surprisingly, Cedric. I haven't seen his face in a while. I shoot out of bed in a cold sweat, relieved to be back in my dorm and completely forgotten my nightmare.

Yet, I couldn't fall back asleep. I stand up and look out my window, the sun starting to peel out of the clouds. 4:58 a.m., my watch reads. I change and head to the Common Room for a change of scenery.

"You're up too?" I see Theo and he stands up.

"Yeah. Listen, Diana, I'm so sorry for snapping at you. I lost it, and I feel horrible. How can I make it up to you?" He asks.

Suddenly, flashing memories fill my mind. I'm no longer in the Common Room, I'm in my own memories. I see my past self, talking to Draco. He asks me how he can make things right, and I bargain with him. I snap back into reality.

"Di? Hellooo, I'm talking to you," Theo waves his hand in my face.

"I...I gotta go," I run out of the Common Room and to the nearest bathroom. I slam the door shut and splash water on my face.

Breathe, Diana, breathe.

I couldn't stop it. Every second I'm being inserted into images of my past. I'm a ghost, able to see my past until...

"Breathe, Diana. You're gonna be okay," Someone squeezes my wrist and I return to reality. I recognize those stormy grey eyes.

More memories.

"Focus on me," Draco instructs. He doesn't realize that's what's making me go insane.

"I...I can't" I choke out. I feel a hand in my hair, stroking it and stringing their fingers through it. It brings calm like a soft breeze.

"There, you're okay," Draco says softly.

I feel myself lightly shaking. "Do you need to go to Madam Pomfrey?" Draco asks. I shake my head.

"Here, have some water," He hands me a glass of water and I happily accept.

"How'd you find me?" I ask.

"I saw you walk in here," Draco replies. I chuckle a bit.

"You do realize you're in the girls' bathroom," I tell him.

"Oh really? I didn't notice," Draco teases. I laugh a bit.

"You okay, Baby Z? Am I still allowed to call you that?" Draco asks.

"I'm not much of a baby anymore, but sure," I reply.

"You'll always be my baby," Draco says.

Draco:

Did I just say that?

Seriously, I'm such a dork and an idiot. WE ARE NOT TOGETHER. GET THAT INSIDE YOUR HEAD.

"Let's go eat, I'm hungry," Diana says, bringing me back to reality.

"Y-yeah, let's go eat," I stammer. We sit with our friends, chatting like normal. Theo takes Diana's hand and she lets it stay there. Jealousy boils inside me, but I shove it away.

I get a peek of my Dark Mark on my forearm, a reminder of the side I chose. I chose darkness, I fell into a dark rabbit hole with no escape.

"Oi, Malfoy. Wake up," Diana jokes.

"I'm awake just lost in thought," I reply. Diana smiles at me and continues talking.

How am I supposed to get her to like me again, or better, date me again? Is it too late?

"Mate, can we talk?" Theo asks.

"Sure," I head out with him.

"Listen, if you think you have a chance with Diana, you don't. She broke her, and I was there for her. Besides, who would love a Deatheater like you?" Theo scoffs.

"This isn't you, mate. What is wrong with you?!" I ask, appalled.

"I FINALLY, FINALLY, found a girl that loves me, and better yet, I'm not lurking in your stupid shadow. And I won't have you take that away from me," Theo cries.

I walk to class, Diana catching up with me. "What did Theo want?" She asks.

I think about telling her. "Nothing. Just dude stuff," I tell her.

"Dude stuff? I thought I was one of the boys," Diana says with fake sadness. I laugh as we walk into Herbology.

"It feels good to be on good terms again," I confess.

"Likewise," Diana smiles as class begins.

The question is, is there something better than good terms?

A/N: I have a basketball game tomorrow, my first one in three years so hopefully, I can still get a rough chapter prepared so I can post on Friday or Saturday.