Chapter 4

“We are going out” Mandy announced. My eyes snapped open and I shot her a mad glare. It took Sofia a few seconds but then she gently slapped the back of Mandy’s head. “Are you mad?” I nodded eagerly. “Yeah, I just found I’m pregnant. Pregnant, for fuck’s sake! I mean, what the fuck is up with that?!”

I couldn’t keep it in now, I had a reason to freak out and I had to freak out because I couldn’t believe it. Because of the signs I had thought that on the way to the pharmacy and back and then during the wait for the girls I had calmed down and gotten used to the idea but now it had really sunk in. I was pregnant, there was a baby inside me.

Mandy had already told me that it wasn’t too bad that I had had a few cigarettes a bit of wine although of course, it would’ve been better if I hadn’t. So now that that scare was over, I could concentrate on the fact that there was a bloody human growing inside me. I hadn’t signed up for this and I didn’t know how to tell Pete. I mean, I obviously had to tell Pete but I didn’t know how and I could not imagine a possible scenario where I would stand in front of him and tell him. It was just out of the question.

“You two better help me figure out how I tell Pete.” Mandy’s eyes grew. “You’re going to get so much money.” I raise one eyebrow at her. “Really? That’s what you’re thinking about?” “That’s not what you’re thinking about?” she asked back. “I didn’t think you’d want to get back together with him. That’s not it, right?” I shook my head quickly. “No, of course not but I was hoping that my kid wouldn’t grow up without a father. I don’t want to take any more money from him, not more than I’d need for the kid of course.” “You know that he’ll want to take responsibility for the kid. He took you in for nothing when you were just friends so what do you think he’s going to do when he finds out he got you prgenant?” "Stop saying that word."

I sighed loudly. I didn’t think Pete wouldn’t take this seriously but I doubted that he’d want to support me. He’d probably want the kid himself after I had been such a bitch. Of course, he wasn’t without faults either, it was his fault too that we had broken up but then again, maybe he didn’t see that, maybe he was convinced that it had been all me and then I couldn’t expect any sense from him. I knew that I had to tell him so I wouldn’t have to think about it with such a struggle and I knew I had to do it quickly. If there would’ve at least been a doubt that he was the father, I could’ve had a reason to delay telling him but this way, there was really no doubt at all. And I knew that it was better than having some one night stand after a party with a lot of booze knock me up, I mean, Pete was a wonderful dad, I just wasn’t sure if he’d want to show that for my baby. How the hell had I ended up in this situation?

But I hadn’t seen Pete in so long, I felt like I didn’t even know him anymore. I felt like I had no accurate imagination of what he’d do in a certain situation and that’s why I needed to find out what he’d do in this one as soon as I could so those thoughts and doubts would not torture me any longer. I needed some security, I needed something to be certain of. I mean, I knew I was pregnant now but I needed to know if I was in this on my own. He already had a kid whose mother he wasn’t with anymore, it wasn’t a problem for him or maybe, he didn't want that a second time.

Of course, Mandy and Sofia were already planning to buy little clothes and what words they’d teach the baby first (which they for some reason had already decided would be a boy) but I was a mess.

After just hanging out on my couch for the whole day, with some delivery pizza and a few shitty reality shows in the background, Mandy actually decided she would make her plan reality. She had set her mind on going out, like the last time I had been through a break-up. Only this time, we were obviously not going to go to Pete’s club. She called a friend and got us on the list for another exclusive thing in town and she didn’t give a fuck about the fact that neither me or Sofia were in the mood to party.