Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness

Start from the beginning

When he failed to say anything, Dalton reiterated, "That means you can take your family to Kensingdale. I know Charlotte's father must be anxious to see his daughter and new daughter-in-law. You, however, he may chastise because of such a rushed wedding."

"He's an intelligent man," Radley said as he shrugged. "Ben's proof of that. He's perfect for Vivian, and I've yet to see any selfishness in him, which is my highest compliment. I love Charlotte completely, but I doubted I would ever have my love returned. That was something she had to decide. Thankfully, she chose me.

"When her father sees how happy she is, he'll be satisfied. It means a lot to us that you understand how bad this timing has been. Charlotte needs to go home and share her excitement over our wedding with her family. Vivian needs to be welcomed into Ben's family too.

"Actions beyond our control created the situation that prevented our parents from witnessing our vows. This visit means that much more to them. My father needs to see Nathan Caldwell too. He needs to apologize. This visit shouldn't last more than a week, and we'll return to Maywood."

"I'm sure it won't take us but a couple of days to go through the papers. Once we have the evidence, I can return to London with the prisoners."

"If you need me, send a Bobbie or one of my riders, and I'll return. It is only a three-hour ride."

Dalton nodded, and they walked back to the dining room where the other items had been taken. The men were finishing up the job of packing and reloading the borrowed wagon.

"It's time we save your father from the woman. Someone must be here to comfort her, like a personal maid or companion. Though I failed to see any that would fit the description."

"Nor did I. She can send word to her son. He lives in London. Though, I haven't heard favorable reports concerning his rare visits. Quint knows a lot about the people in Maywood. Perhaps he can help in some way."

They went to the parlor and saw his father sitting quietly while the woman spoke. Barrister Hollis sat with an ink well nearby and wrote into a notebook.

"I hate to disturb you, George," Dalton said quietly. "Will you be much longer?"

"I believe I have enough. Dorthy, the baroness, has requested to come to London on behalf of her husband. She wishes to be there for him and see her son." He emptied his fountain pen into the inkwell and tightened the lid on it. He packed both into the satchel he carried. "The Marquess of Croxley has told her enough for her to understand." He finally stood.

Reginald saw them and rose to his feet. Baroness Milton still sat with her head down. He leaned towards her and whispered something. She nodded, and he moved towards the others. "I believe she will be all right. I told her she may accompany me when I return to London. She has no one here to help her. I believe she has never traveled alone."

"Won't her son come for her?" Radley asked.

"She doesn't believe he will. He will find this behavior embarrassing. However, he will welcome her." Reginald pulled his son's sleeve to speak in private. "I don't believe Dorthy realizes that her son may prevent her from visiting her husband."

Their gaze moved to look at her. She sat still as she dabbed her eyes with her hankie.

"You're a good man, Reginald," Dalton said when he joined them. He motioned for one of his officers, and he hurried over. "We ride to Maywood. Winston, you and Hawkins bring the patty wagon and follow us. Baxter and Madison can take the wagon back to Maywood Manor. That evidence is to be covered to protect it from the weather and parked inside the carriage house when they arrive at Maywood. Then they should relieve Officer Chaplin who has been guarding the prisoners along with Bogsley."

Winston agreed, and the barristers led the way outside to mount their horses and ride to Maywood. All of them took a deep breath. The air was cool and dry with the sun shining. They hoped the good weather would hold.

I hope you are not saying 'finally'

I hope you are not saying 'finally'. LOL That sort of happens in a book with a mystery. Especially with me. I try to show the reality of emotions.  I'm sure some of you want to see that dirty magistrate get his. Perhaps that will be a little fun. They of course learn how horrible he is too.

Let me hear from you and please remember to vote.