Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence

Start from the beginning

He cocked his head as his fist rose to his hip. "Tell me this; did it ever occur to you what the cost of your actions would be? Did you take into consideration the people who would be hurt by it? Or were you so filled with covetous greed that you couldn't think past it?"

Lord Milton's head hung low as he remained utterly silent. Reginald would have felt sorry for the Baron, except the man had chosen to partake of the misery inflicted upon Radley.

When nothing more was said, Reginald saw Dalton and Radley appear at the door. Dalton shared a look of concurrence with him and Radley simply nodded.

They left and returned to the parlor to search. Radley opened and shut drawers but found nothing.

Dalton watched him. "I imagine the silverware is in the dining room."

"Talbot said he used it to bribe Magistrate Peterson."

"There are many sets missing. I imagine the best of it is here. Tell me; what made you trust the word of a thief, Radley?"

He paused and stared at him. "Radley shook his head. "You would think I'd know better than to continue believing a word he says, but I did about this."

"Trust is different than gullibility, Radley. Most say you trust until that trust is broken. Even then, it is difficult because you question your judgment concerning the person. It isn't unusual to doubt the facts. Most believe there has been a mistake. That's human nature until you become cynical. I see so much corruption that it has been difficult. Thankfully, I still have those around me to keep me from losing hope in the world."

"I've also been lucky. You heard my father. He's always been able to play up that guilt while he teaches us."

Dalton's lips tipped up the slightest bit. "He's a good father. Most of the elite ignore their children," he said with disgust.

"I have you know, his lectures may be good, but my mother could make you beg her for forgiveness," Radley said with a chuckle. "Father was not immune to that."

"No, I wasn't," Reginald agreed as he entered the room. "Have you found anything?"

"Not anything yet, unless it's been gone so long I don't remember it."

"I am sure that Quint was thorough in his list." He left them to go back to Baron Milton and they followed because they headed into the other parlor. The décor was feminine, thus likely used by the baroness.

Radley immediately discovered a blue pottery bowl with a lid, a crystal vase and dish, and a porcelain bluebird. It was something that Radley always thought his mother would have liked.

Dalton was pulling the list from his pocket when Reginald came to the entrance and called out for Radley.

"Winston and Hawkins are taking the prisoner out now. Would you like to watch the event?"

Radley smiled, rubbed his hands together, and left Dalton comparing markings of what was found to that of the list. He and his father stepped outside and trailed behind the two officers walking beside the baron. The event was melodramatic since he had walked across the yard with his head down and his shoulders stooped.

The barred door was opened in the back of the wagon and Milton was helped inside since his hands were cuffed. The door was then locked and Winston and Hawkins walked away. The wagon had iron bars on all sides, so he wouldn't be going anywhere.

"I expected to feel justified seeing that. Instead, it's depressing," Radley admitted.

"Son, you are watching a sad ending to a baron. I pity his wife and son. Getting what he wanted had a price too great to bear."