23: Legacy

1078 AP (after phoenix)
GRIFFIN ISLAND
CRIMSON PHOENIX 3RD

Lexington is seated with his class as Dante is giving a speech about the bestiary.

Dante: "a huntsman or huntress's greatest weapon isn't their actual weapon or magic, the bestiary will be your source of knowledge having everything you need such as weaknesses of creatures, toxic herbs and a detailed descriptions of the creatures if you like to read." He says grabbing a bestiary and holds it before them. "One of the firsts huntsman Zachariah Hunter made the first bestiary and over the past thousand years, his work and knowledge has been improved and added upon... This is a thousand years worth of knowledge, if you're gonna be a good huntsman or huntress? You need to use this." He says as Alec stands before the class.

Alec: "you all will be handed a bestiary and you'll read through everything it has to offer, cause in two weeks you will be tested as we will individually ask you questions about certain weaknesses creatures have and so on so you better study." He says as the recruits are each given a bestiary and are dismissed. "How much you wanna bet they're actually gonna read through it all?" He asks smirking as Dante chuckles lowly with amusement.

Dante: "I imagine many will, we'll be having visitors soon, particularly Aiden's mother and the Phoenix King himself." He says with his hands placed on his cane.

Alec: "I'll make sure Lex isn't around when the Phoenix King gets here, lad's been through enough cause of him." As Dante nods in agreement as Lexington is looking through the bestiary as Sigurd nudges his.

Sigurd: "you can study later Blondie, eat." He says as Lexington reluctantly closes the bestiary.

Lexington: "just a lot of material to read and with only two weeks." He says as Sigurd shakes his head.

Sigurd: "you seriously think they expect us to read through that entire thing in two weeks? You'd have to read it day and night to do that." He says as Lexington sees his point.

Lexington: "fair enough but what if they ask about a certain creature I didn't get to read?" He asks as Sigurd gives a reassuring punch to his shoulder.

Sigurd: "they're not gonna kick you out, they're probably trying to see how dedicated each of us are to actually being a huntsman." He says as Lexington nods seeing his point as it does make sense. Elyria meanwhile is in Volmir's workshop as working on Lex's sword is a slow process due to how tough it is to work the magical black steel but has the overall shape down.

Volmir: "she's coming along nicely, she'll serve your lover well." As Elyria looks back confused. "Are you and Lex not entangled?" He asks bluntly as Elyria is blushing madly but isn't that noticable.

Elyria: "not at the moment... Since you're asking me something personal why don't I ask you something personal?" She rebuttals as Volmir sighs heavily and motions her to ask away. "What happened to your people? My father says there were way more of you when he was my age." She asks curiously as Volmir stops what he's doing.

Volmir: "most of my people can't reproduce anymore, cause many years ago when I was born... Some elves from the Kingdom of Valoris released a spell into us that made us infertile, I don't know why they did this but it doesn't matter as my people are guaranteed for extinction and hell... I'm getting close to three hundred which is the longest any dwarf has lived." He says sitting down stroking his grey beard as Elyria crosses her arms feeling bad.

Elyria: "I'm so sorry... I..." She says speechless as it sickens her that elves did it.

Volmir: "you elves had it easy being slaves, cause at least your people aren't going extinct anytime soon."