Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals

Start from the beginning

"I heard carriages arriving. Has Dalton arrived?" He nodded and kissed her cheek. "Why are you not with him? Did you sneak away just to see me?"

"Yes, but I can't stay. He's speaking to the staff concerning Talbot. I wish we could have longer."

She cupped his chin and kissed him. "We will have time tonight."

"Yes, we definitely will." He rubbed the palm of his hand against her back loving the feel of her in his arms.

Vivian stood watching her brother and the intimacy embarrassed her. "Perhaps I should go find Ben and give you some time alone now."

"I cannot stay, Vivian, though I am grateful for your offer. Dalton has come to help, and I shan't detain his work for selfish reasons. You two continue enjoying what you are doing. I'll return if my services are not required." He paused when he remembered, "Dalton has brought another barrister with him. I will introduce you before dinner. His name is George Hollis. Together, they should have this problem settled in a couple of days."

"We are most fortunate," Charlotte told him. "We will see you later."

He glanced at the pile of clothes spread over the bed. "It appears that you will need a maid to help with your gowns. I'll send one up shortly." He kissed Charlotte once again and walked from the room.

Because he found his office empty, instead of speaking with the maids, he went in search of his father at the stables. The driver of the prison wagon stood at the entry, and he stepped in Radley's way when he started to enter.

"Please wait, Milord. The honorable barristers are questioning the events." The Bobbie known as opened the door and stepped inside, grabbing their attention, he announced, "The Viscount of Maywood requests entrance, your honor."

Dalton waved his hand to grant him permission. When Radley entered he was grinning. "If I am not needed, I will be pleased to spend time with my bride."

Dalton laughed. "I'm sure you would. We are hearing about your midnight raid to obtain your stolen horses. Bogsley and Lewis have also answered my endless questions. You are most fortunate to have the help of these two men. The fact that you have a spy from our military is quite auspicious. Bogsley shared how he stumbled upon the men sent by Lord Milton." He shook his head with amazement.

"The same is to be said for Lewis and his wife. Their care of me is beyond any expectations. Without these men, the house would have remained gutted and I would not know who had done this to me. I am in their debt," Radley said with sincerity.

"He fails to mention he has been generous in his reward," Lewis mentioned with austerity.

"As he should have," Reginald said with pride.

By the time they returned to the house, the Bobbie trailing the Barristers was told to bring Talbot to the Viscount's office. Dalton turned to Radley and asked, "I wish to have your man Quint and Lewis to listen to what Talbot has to say. The door should remain open for them to do so. This will give you gentlemen time to be with Vivian and Charlotte."

Dalton gripped Radley's shoulder and told him, "When I saw her at Ben's wedding, I saw the interest you two shared. But I was surprised to receive news that you had already married. My congratulations."

Radley gave him a nod, and then Dalton's demeanor changed becoming quite serious. "What items have not been returned to you? Your father mentioned you sent payment for the staff because Talbot failed to pay them. He also mentioned damages and missing art."

He pulled the list from his pocket that Quint had given him concerning missing items, and handed them to Dalton. "Quint is very thorough. The paintings have complete descriptions. The money was that of three months wages to the house staff and the farmers for farm implements. Speak to Bogsley, Lewis, and Harris for the exact amount."

"Don't you know?"

"My records are in London. I only have an estimate. We shall return to the city in a few weeks. I shall gather such information and see that you have it before the trial is set."

Dalton agreed. "You may want to gather your men to listen at the doors. They shall bring Talbot soon."

"As you wish. He hurried from the room and found Quint, who was always nearby for Radley's convenience. "The door was open, did you hear?"

Quint bowed his head in acknowledgment. "I shall bring Lewis and Bogsley."

"Where's Lord Caldwell?"

"He and his countess are visiting the conservatory with the Viscountess. Shall I sent someone to fetch them, Milord?"

"Thank you, Quint. That will not be necessary." He hurried towards the back entrance. He was happy that he had another stolen moment to spend with Charlotte.

Radley had never felt loneliness before. But now that Charlotte was in his life, he had so much more. Whenever he walked into the room, she greeted him with enthusiasm and affection. What man wouldn't love that? She also brought out his protective instincts. The truth was that it made him feel more of a man.

He saw her and whistled. She turned around, and his heart swelled with joy when she began running towards him.

Thank you for reading another chapter

Thank you for reading another chapter. Hope you enjoy it, but it's actually in two parts or it would be way too long. I'll post the next chapter soon. It would have sounded rushed if I had jumped too quickly into the investigation and ended it too. Plus, I wanted a little sweetness too with these newly weds.

Take care all, and please, Remember to Vote.