Chapter 8: The Bullies

~|✧|~
______________________________

(edited June 2nd 2021)

my body aches as I crawl out of bed. that training yesterday was so draining. I put my uniform on and go downstairs to eat breakfast. 

"don't forget to do your morning stretches sweetie!" my mom says cheerfully setting down a plate of waffles that my dad had made.

I snarf down the heavenly clouds of butter and then chug my protein shake destroying any joy the waffles had given me.

I get up to leave and grab my bag.

"push yourself sweetie" my mom says as I exit the house.

"did you guys see the news last night? it was so cool that we got a few seconds of screen time! though I bet nobody noticed me hanging out in the background" a floating UA uniform says.

"probably not" Shoji agrees with her.

"it is difficult to stand out when you're just gloves!" Ojiro jokes.

"it's kinda weird how they let one of the villains go" Bakugou says smugly

"wait they did? who?" I say and then realize what he meant and the whole class starts laughing, everyone except for Uraraka, Deku Tsu, and Lida who wasn't there yet.

I sink into my seat embarrassed.

"attention everyone homeroom class is about to begin! everyone stop talking and sit in your seats" Lida announces barging into the room

"we are all sitting except for you Lida" Kirishima says

Lida goes to sit down embarrassed.

"dang it" he mutters through gritted teeth

suddenly a very bandaged man comes limping through the door.

"Mr. Aizawa!?" the class erupts

"my well being is irrelevant what's more important is that your fight isn't over yet" he continues

"our fight?" Bakugou asks

"don't tell me..." Deku looks concerned

"NOT MORE BAD GUYSTH" Mineta yells.

"hey if you want to know if more villains are coming just ask Maya!" someone comments and the whole class laughs and I sink further into my seat.

"quiet down class, that's not what I meant, the UA sports festival is coming up. as you all probably know the sports festival is a way to get scouted by hero agencies, if you want to go pro one day then this event can open a path for you."

"that means you better not slack off on your training, class is dismissed" 

"yes sir" the class says in unison.

at lunch time everyone was excited about the sports festival including me. Like Mr. Aizawa said, this is a great chance to be scouted by a hero agency and I'm going to need that luck because my mothers hero agency can't train me since they closed after her injury.

In the past me and my dad used to watch the UA sports festival every year, my mom would be there too of course, and she analyzed each students moves out loud and pointed out their mistakes. 

this year I'll be the one she's analyzing.

on the walk to lunch we are approached by the symbol of peace himself All Might. 

"I am here!" he exclaims.

"young Midoriya! would you care to eat lunch with me?" hey asks holding up a comically small bento box for such a burly man.

it's at this moment that I think back to what Tsu said on the bus, 'your power is a lot like All Might's isn't it?' him and All Might do seem rather chummy.

I stare into my bowl of rice as my mixed emotions swirl inside me. I must've been staring a little too hard because Uraraka noticed.

"you alright? are you nervous about the festival?" she asks, and I break my staring contest with my food.

"yeah just some mixed feelings" I say back with a nervous smile.

"hey Maya?" Kirishima and Kaminari say with smug faces.

I already know what they are about to do so I ignore them.

"we were just uh wondering, are there going to be any villains at the sports festival? it'd be nice if you could let us know this time ya know since your a villain and all." they say smirking

"Guy that's not cool, you shouldn't bully people" Uraraka sticks up for me.

"yeah it's not her fault she wouldn't purposefully withhold that kind of information from you" Tenya joins the battle and they slink off back to their table in defeat.

"thanks for sticking up for me guys" I say still looking down glumly

"of course Maya, those guys are just bullies"

after lunch me Lida and Uraraka walk back to class together and meet up with Deku along the way. 

"hey Maya? there's something I've been meaning to ask you" Deku starts

"yeah?"

"I was just wondering, what made you want to become a hero?" he asks

"oh well, you have probably heard but my mother was attacked a long time ago. she was paralyzed and couldn't be a hero anymore. so it's my duty as her daughter to become her successor." 

"so you're doing it because your mom wants you too?" he asks

"well when you put it that way..." I say thinking about it.

"I suppose it would be selfish of me to hoard such a powerful quirk and not use it to help others." I say sorely looking at my hand.

"anyways, are you guys excited for the sports festival?" I ask changing the subject

"yeah of course we are!" Tenya exclaims

______________________________
~|✧|~