Chapter 16

A/N: Hey there! I'm finally updating after like three years? Maybe more? I'm really sorry- I've been concentrating on school and activities. I finally decided to update though since I have more time. I also noticed that this book has been getting a lot of comments lately, as well as the first one. Therefore, this is the one I'll be updating today.

Note: I have the newest book, but have not yet read it. And since this book was written so long ago, I'll most likely write things that may not be true in the newer books. Also, if I mention anything from more recently written books, and you haven't read them yet, I'm sorry for any spoilers there might be.

Enjoy!

Leo's POV

Leo watched as Lizzy and Colette walked deeper into the shadows of the stinky cave, held back by his cousin. Once they could no longer see the girls and the dwarf, Logan pulled him back out of the cave. To assure their safety, Logan made sure that they were far enough away before returning their visibility.

Leo crossed his arms. "So what's your plan? And why don't you trust that dwarf?"

Logan rolled his eyes. "You really think that a dwarf would show up to help us? If he really is on our side, wouldn't he have showed up to help your parents already?"

"Well, they are in a secret base. I doubt every single dwarf knows its location," Leo pointed out.

Logan shrugged. "I don't care. I still don't trust that guy. Whoever is holding Agent LF captive must have been keeping an eye out for any rescuers. And if he's being held in this cave, the other side must have some dwarf allies. They may be smart enough to keep LF captive, but they can't possibly know everything about what's underground."

"I guess... but-" Leo tried to butt in, but was quickly interrupted by his cousin's hand covering his mouth.

"Shh.... I think I hear something," he whispered. He quickly made both of them invisible again and pulled them into the shadows.

While Leo didn't hear anything, he stayed quiet, not fighting his cousin's insistent push into hiding. Leo was known for not being the sneakiest agent, but as a twelve-year-old with less training than other agents, he knew that trusting his older cousin would be a good idea.

As the two stood silently, Leo soon heard talking. One of the voices sounded like the gravelly voice of the dwarf that had led his sister and Colette into the cave. The other sounded more like a person, one he didn't recognize.

"...deep in the underground prison," the gravelly voice finished.

"And you're sure that they can't escape?" the deeper voice spoke.

"Yes. I'm sure. And the ogre guards are there to guard them. We don't know what tricks the Black Swan have taught those two."

"What about the boy?"

"We have others searching for him. Don't know how he got away so easily," the dwarf replied.

"Good. Report back when you find him."

The sound of digging, and then footsteps, were heard.

The digging must be the dwarf, Leo transmitted to Logan. Did you hear where the footsteps went? To Leo, knowing where the person might have gone would be their best lead, especially since they hadn't brought along a dwarf themselves.

I think that the footsteps went away from us, Logan thought. Let's follow.

Carefully, both boys left the shadows, Leo's mouth uncovered but both still invisible. Looking around, they walked in the direction that the footsteps had gone.

The area was dark, the rocky area high enough to block the sun. It didn't help that the trees, which had a fruit that were putting off a stinky scent, had thick foliage. The smell from the plants must have seeped into the cave, making the dark area even worse with its rancid smell.

See anyone?  Leo asked.

No, Logan thought. Wait, stop...

Leo halted to a stop as Logan listen for the noise again. Hearing that the footsteps sounded louder, the boys had a feeling that the other person was close.

They watched as a man finally appeared from the bushes. He walked closer, his eyes squinting in the darkness. He was hard to see, as he was wearing dark clothes and the shadows blocked some of his appearance. All that could be seen was that he was tall and had pale skin, which contrasted with the dark clothing that all of the Neverseen seemed to wear.

Leo stared in confusion, not at this person's appearance, but at what he was hearing. Thoughts? But that couldn't be. He wasn't trying to listen to this elf's thoughts. 

I can hear his thoughts, Leo told Logan. But I'm not trying to listen to his thoughts...

Logan let out a gasp, but quickly covered it as the person turned, walking in the direction of the sound.

That only happens when a Telepath is near a human, Logan thought.

This person wasn't an elf. He was a human.

A/N: There! I hope you liked this update! I'm not sure if it's considered short or not but I hope it's enough. Leave comments (if you want) and let me know what you think will happen next. I can't promise a quick update, but I hope to update sooner than I did this time.