73

* * *

* * *

It tore Sirius apart even more now, knowing that the girl, who was wailing like a banshee in pain as her body morphed and reshaped into a werewolf, was his daughter. His best friend was beside him also crying out in pain, pain that soon subsided as the transformation halted. Even though they had taken wolfsbane, the pain still ricocheted throughout their veins.

He joined them in animal form and watched as the two squared up to each other. They circled menacingly, their teeth beared and growls tumbling from their lips. Sirius was ready to intervene on the fight between the two but instead, the wolf snapped away from the she-wolf and pounced at Sirius. She darted out of the way as the wolf lunged at him, the she-wolf leg out an ear-piercing howl.

Sirius whimpered as the wolf jumped on him, pinning him to the ground. He tried to push the wolf off but the smaller (but still rather large) dog couldn't manage to do so. Thankfully, the she-wolf came to his rescue. She leaped towards the wolf and the wolf chased after her. They were not fighting. Far from it, they were playing, like dogs, as if they were not a dangerous wolf.

Sirius whined in pain, rolling onto his side and panting, his tongue hanging out of the corner of his mouth as he watched in awe. The she-wolf took away the menacing side of the wolf and vice-versa. They rolled and jumped around the room. Then they began to howl, taking it in turns, getting louder and louder as they did so. This went back and forth for a few hours before the she-wolf collapsed down onto the ground tired.

The wolf padded around her, nudging her with his nose as if to check she was still alive. She swiped her paw at him playfully and the wolf growled in response. Sirius dragged himself up to protect the she-wolf, but she didn't need it. The wolf was not a danger to her but to Sirius, the wolf was not very happy. He pounced again. The two got into a brawl which lasted for around 45 minutes. Sirius didn't understand what was going on, not even as he dropped to the floor in surrender, in pain, and full of fatigue.

The wolf backed off once more and laid close to the she-wolf to rest. Not after letting one last warning growl out at the dog who whimpered in the corner. He was not looking forward to the morning.

When it eventually came, his eyes were heavy and so were his limbs. He ached and groaned at even the slightest stretch. Transforming back into his human self with difficult with the pain rippling through his body, fortunately he was dressed as he hauled himself over to his daughter whom he covered with a blanket until she stirred awake.

"Morning, sleepyhead," he whispered careful not to wake Remus as he passed over some clothes for her to change into. Granted it was awkward because Remus and Catina did not transform back into fully clothed people, but it couldn't be helped so it became normalised for them.

"Morning," she murmured back as she slipped into a dress- it was easier to get on compared to trousers and a shirt.

Remus awoke shortly after and Sirius helped him dress. The latter was not fazed at how much he was attacked last night as it was way worse when they were in school, as long as Catina and Remus were not at each other's throats, he didn't care what happened to him.

Yet, it was as clear as day that Remus was shifty and not comfortable with Sirius. Or at least, Catina noticed. Charlie, Bill and Tonks arrived at the shack to help apparate the three back to the Burrow which lead to the former carrying Catina who looked ready to collapse. Whilst Remus had decades to get used to the full moon, Catina's body still hadn't adjusted and she found it a lot tougher to cope especially since she was on her period that night too. She was mighty drained to say the least.

Charlie carried her up to the twins' bedroom and laid her gently down on Fred's bed where she nuzzled into the pillow immediately and was out like a light in seconds. He chuckled and as she slept carefully wrapped her hair up for her. He was under strict instructions from Fred- "Char, do not let Bill bring her back. It must be you or Tonks and I want you to make sure her hair is wrapped up whilst she sleeps because she does that every night. I mean it, Charlie, Bill can't touch her. She's my girlfriend and I am trusting you with her. Stop laughing at me, you git, otherwise I'll put a thousand exploding slugs in your trunk!"

Catina rolled onto her back as Charlie left the room and Remus entered, flopping onto George's bed and drifting off into a deep sleep for a few hours. When the both woke up, the air was thick and Catina wanted answers.

"What's going on with you and... Sirius? I dunno what to call him now but, yeah what's going on between you two this morning?" She asked with a yawn forming at the end of her sentence.

"Oh. Um."

"Don't bullshit me."

"I attacked him a lot last night. I didn't want to but I was angry. Really angry and the wolf inside of me decided to take action. I feel so guilty. It shouldn't have happened."

"You were angry? Angry about what?" She pushed herself up and tugged Fred's duvet up to her chin, embracing the scent he had left behind on it.

"It doesn't matter, sweetheart."

"Yes it does. If you're angry then it does matter. You were there for me a lot back in Hogwarts and even now and so I will be there for you. Now spill it."

"No 'darling'?"

"Don't change the subject."

"You needn't worry about me, Cat, I was doing my duty as your professor to look out for you-"

"You're not my professor now are you? Tell me what's going on!"

"I wanted to be your dad!" Remus shouted.

Catina's mouth dropped. Her eyebrows turned upwards and she stared at him flabbergasted. "You what?"

"I- I know I wouldn't have been a great father or anything but I care for you so much, Cat, that I was in talks with Dumbledore about adopting you. Only if you wanted me to of course but it doesn't matter now. You have a father, you don't need me."

"You were going to do that? For me?"

"Yes, I would have done anything to have adopted you. I really do care for you and I hated the fact your home was not regimented. I can't give you the world and money that Sirius can give to you but I would have tried my damn hardest to give you a family."

"And that's just it. I don't need the world nor do I need money. All I want in life is a family and yes I have a father now, and that means I have cousins too, like Tonks and Bella, but that doesn't stop you being family. I would have loved to have been adopted by you. Even though he is my dad, he won't replace you or what you have done for me. Remus, you're family to me, adoption or not."

"You really mean that?"

"Of course I bloody do. You were the first adult to really get me, that listened, that cared. I can't just sweep that under the carpet. You can't get rid of me that easily."

"I don't plan on it, sweetheart."