vier en veertig ;

"It's really bright in here."

Jake thinned his eyes as they walked forward into the store — Sunghoon had come to do his shopping, and Jake decided to accompany him. Jake was pushing the cart while Sunghoon looked at various shelves to buy what he needed. At some point, Sunghoon joined him by putting his hands on either side of Jake and pushing the cart as well.

"I need milk," Sunghoon muttered, looking at one of the freezer shelves. He took two cartons of milk, putting them in the cart and walking onwards.

"There's not much people here today, are there?" Jake hummed, looking around the store snd seeing about ten other people where they were.

"What? This is more than usual," Sunghoon chuckled, taking a container of strawberry yoghurt and putting it beside the milk. "This area is really remote. Finding people outside is rare on its own."

Jake hummed in response. "Hey, we should make kimchi jeon tonight."

"Are you staying over?"

"Yes." Sunghoon smiled, putting his head against Jake's affectionately. The brunette giggled, reaching up to ruffle Sunghoon's hair. "Oi, what's your problem?"

"Too much has happened in the short time that we've been together," Sunghoon commented, reaching to a shelf to take off whipped cream. "Honestly, it feels like the universe hates us. But, hey, we're still together, so that's good, right?"

Jake smiled. "Probably because I changed my wallpaper to that couple hoodie selfie we took a few days ago."

"Ah, that's so cute, though!"

"Nonsense!" Jake giggled, stepping away from the shopping cart. "I want doughnuts. We should get doughnuts."

"We can get later, but we need to do my main shopping now," Sunghoon hummed, pulling Jake to him so they could continue their shopping. However, he couldn't help but feel a little shy with Jake standing in between his arms as they pushed the cart together. Onlookers existed, and he wondered if they seemed strange walking together like that. Even with soulmates of same-sex relationships are more widely accepted, they still got the occasional side glance.

"You know, Australia wasn't this good."

Sunghoon raised an eyebrow, looking at Jake in confusion. "Hm?"

Jake pressed his lips together. "Australia was suffocating. I hated it there. All of my family are there, yes, but… that environment was the worst. If I hadn't left with my parents, I wouldn't be able to enjoy life like I am enjoying it with you."

"A portion of that enjoyment is owed to your parents, though, for not letting you stay in Australia," Sunghoon shrugged. "But that's in the past. What matters is that you're here now, in my arms, being my warmth and letting me love you with all ny heart."

Jake smiled softly. "You're such a lovesick idiot. I love it."

"It was just a mild fever paired with some nausea and fatigue, which are common symptoms of the flu. It's recommended to keep him indoors in a secluded room until symptoms subside, and at most one person interacting with him. He seems quite sensitive to the symptoms, but we'll give fever medication to regulate your temperature and prevent headaches. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. I'll be back with the medication in a bit."

The four individuals in the room bowed politely as the doctor left. Jay, Uncle and Sunoo all had to wear masks around Niki, which was fine by them all, but Sunoo desperately wanted to kiss the boy's forehead and take care of him. He sighed, taking Niki's hand in his own. "My baby is sick…"

"Gross, your 'baby'," Jay muttered, gagging falsely. Sunoo laughed, shaking his head. "I'm in no place to judge because I call Hyuna noona 'my girl', so…"

"Exactly," Sunoo teased in return. "But this isn't about you, it's about my baby Niki. Will you be okay, Niki? I won't be able to see you in person for a bit, you know."

"It's fine, we can video call," Niki replied, looking down shyly. "And I'm not a baby, don't call me that."

"Shush, you're my baby," Sunoo scoffed, plainly rolling his eyes before smiling brightly. "I'm two years your hyung, I can call you whatever I want."

"Sunoo has always been a wildcard," Uncle Hyeokjoo muttered, shaking his head. "Jay, I need to step out for a bit. Watch those two carefully, please."

Jay laughed as his grandfather left. Sunoo just pouted under the mask, wanting to give Niki as much love as possible, but the timing couldn't be worse. Niki finally spoke up after a bit. "Hyung, how did you know I wasn't well?"

Sunoo smiled gently. "Niki, we're soulmates. I can always tell if something is wrong. Our souls are connected now, and we'll always affect one another. The universe, as dumb as it sounds, brought us together, and I'm so happy it did."

Niki hummed, looking down at their intertwined hands. "And we fell in love so quickly because of it." He was smiling thoughtlessly, sighing softly before looking at his older brother. "Hyung, how did it feel to meet Hyuna noona?"

Jay hummed, putting his phone into his pocket. "Hyuna noona… hm… it was strange at the beginning. She herself mentioned wanting to be with a girl, but she ended up with me instead. At first, before we spoke in the kitchen on the day we met, it didn't feel like it was meant to be. But the more we looked at each other in the eye, the more real it felt. In short, after a bit, it felt amazing."

"Honestly, meeting you was the best thing that could have ever happened to me," Sunoo smiled, gently stroking Niki's hand with his thumb. "But instead of loving you like a boyfriend or whatever, I love you more as a parent, honestly. I worry too much about you. Like right now! Jeez, please look after yourself."

"I will, I will," Niki laughed, nodding vigorously. "I eorry too much about you too! You do reckless things like run out in the rain! You're crazy, hyung."

"Crazy for you, maybe," Jay chuckled. "He begged us to bring him with to pick you up today. You guys are a perfect match, and it's a little too obvious."

"Shush, you have a soulmate too."

"Yeah, I know the vibe."

[ y'all been complaining about jaywon when I'm already walking on thin ice with sunki. I got in trouble for writing about underage-with-legal-person before and I'm scared to get into trouble again, please understand :( I simply want to protect myself as a writer :( I try to put in more sunki, but it's difficult to write about teENAGERS WHEN IM OLDER THAN BOTH OF THEM DLJSKSL ]

[ please understand lol I just cannot write about a 15-year old, it feels weird lmao ]

[ also, here's Jake's wallpaper :D ]

[ — ERICVERSE ]