twee en veertig ;

Sunghoon stared back at the bpy in confusion, shock and disbelief. He was definitely feeling warmth in his chest, so it must be coming from this boy. But despite that, his tone and attitude remained unchanging. The boy had some sort of shy, hopeful glint in his eyes, but he could hardly meet Sunghoon's eyes.

"Soulmate?" Sunghoon repeated in confusion. "You must be confused, I have a soulmate already."

The boy finally looked at Sunghoon. "B-but… can't you… you reacted to my warmth… I don't understand…" He yelped suddenly, covering his face with his hands. His ears were burning red as he blushed — Sunghoon felt bad that he didn't react the same way.

"Look, I met my soulmate a couple weeks ago — he's actually sitting in the back, so I don't know," Sunghoon replied, shrugging his shoulders helplessly. "I think it's someone else here—"

The boy opened his face, dropping his hands to his sides as a small pout rested on his expression. More guilt filled Sunghoon, but he already had Jake. Why would another boy suddenly have a link with him? His warmth wasn't as prominent as Jake's, but it was still there.

Love, I need you.

The boy sighed softly as he kept his gaze downwards. "I've been getting the feeling recently that I'd meet my soulmate. I got the feeling with you, b-but… it seems that there's a mistake. A-are you sure it's not you?"

"I've definitely met my soulmate before," Sunghoon nodded. As if on cue, Jake scurried over to Sunghoon, looking at him worriedly.

"Is there something wrong?" the Australian boy asked. He looked at the boy behind the counter and widened his eyes, looking between Sunghoon and the boy in confusion. "What… what's going on here…?"

Sunghoon sighed softly, taking Jake's hand in his own and holding tightly. "Uhm… I just reacted to this boy's warmth, and he reacted to my ice."

Jake released his grip, but Sunghoon held his hand tightly. "You have another soulmate?!"

The boy widened his eyes, quickly bowing to the two. Jake and Sunghoon looked at him and the boy raised his head, his eyes filling with tears. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't know my soulmate would be someone who already h-had one."

Sunghoon bit his lips together before sighing. "Tell your manager there's been an emergency — we need to talk."

Soon enough, the three boys sat at a table of their own. Hyuna sat off to the side, not wanting to interrupt their serious conversation. The boy, whose name they learnt to be Kim Minseo, still seemed nervous around Sunghoon. They were apparently soulmates, so he had every right to feel nervous and giddy around the tallest. Sunghoon's chest was dark and gloomy due to Jake's apparent jealousy.

"How long have you had the feeling that you'd meet your soulmate?" Sunghoon asked. "Speak comfortably with me, since we're all the same age here."

Minseo clasped his hands together, looking down at his lap with bright red cheeks. He couldn't meet Sunghoon's gaze — he was just so handsome. "U-uhm… three? Four days? I can't be too sure. I anticipated it because of the feeling I got, but to discover that my soulmate already has one of his own…"

"It says something," Jake muttered. Sunghoon hit his hand and Jake pouted, turning away as he crossed his arms. Sunghoon loved it when Jake was jealous — he was just do unbearably adorable — but this situation was too serious for him to suddenly coo about Jake's cuteness.

"The thing is," Sunghoon began, "Jake and I met a couple weeks ago already, and we recently started dating to make it official. I don't know what is the consequence or result of this, because… I love Jake. I'm sorry, but Jake is the one for me. I have no intention of breaking up with Jake, or considering you, or any of that. Jake owns my heart, and that's that."

Minseo kept his gaze down, and Sunghoon felt his heart beating erratically again. Minseo was clearly very upset, and it was only natural. But Minseo raised his head to reveal a smile, despite his eyes being teary. "So you guys are the real deal, huh? Real soulmates. I envy you. You could find such a beautiful love… I want that as well…"

The atmosphere grew darker and Jake could feel that Sunghoon was upset as well. He felt bad for rejecting Minseo, and this would obviously affect him for a long time. He wouldn't know what it would be like on the receiving end of a rejection, especially from a soulmate, but he figured it'd be bad.

"You two are happy," Minseo muttered with a smile. "I can see it, so it's fine. I mean… I didn't think my s-soulmate would reject me so soon. I-it's… kinda disappointing…"

Tears fell from Minseo's eyes to his lap and Sunghoon clenched his fists. He looked at Jake for a moment before muttering a soft 'sorry' and standing up. He tugged Minseo up from his seat by his wrist and put his arms around him. Jake immediately grew stiff at the sight and it felt like some sort of primal instinct activated inside him.

"Sunghoon—"

"I'm extremely sorry for all of this," Sunghoon said quickly. "I wouldn't ever know what you're feeling right now. As much as I'd like to realise that… maybe I am your soulmate… but Jake is the one for me. He's the one for me, and I love him too much to consider this. Please understand."

Sunghoon let go of Minseo, and the warmth coming from the boy of fire slowly disappated until Sunghoon no longer felt it. It was a disappointing feeling, and Minseo most probably felt worse. Nothing got rid of Jake's jealousy, but he did feel some sympathy towards the situation. He didn't know what would have happened if Sunghoon already had a soulmate.

What if Sunghoon had met Minseo first?

What if they weren't as destined as they thought? That Sunghoon had more opportunities to find true love?

Was Jake really the one for him?

Was he just in the way of Minseo's fate with Sunghoon?

Was Minseo the one for Sunghoon?

"I understand," were Minseo's final words before he pulled from the hug. "I'm glad we spoke about this. I hope you and your s-soulmate live a happy life together."

"Hey. Cheer up." Sunghoon smiled as he ruffled Minseo's navy blue locks of hair. "You'll find happiness too. I promise. It's coming from me, so you'll definitely be okay."

Jake wanted to say something, but he couldn't.

[ me after seeing the heeseung comments: you fool, you fell for my trap card ]

[ lmao I'm sorry, I said it in previous chapters that heeseung wouldn't pop up in the story 😔💔 so I used minseo from drippin because he's cute and I love him. Sorry if you were disappointed because it wasn't heeseung. He pops up for something else ;D ]

[ thanks for reading! ]

[ — ERICVERSE ]