vier en twintig ;

"Why are they suddenly visiting you, Sunghoon?"

"Oh," Sunghoon began, fiddling with his chopsticks in his hand, "it's my birthday on Tuesday, but they're busy on that day, so they're coming to visit early."

"It's your birthday on Tuesday?!" Mrs Sim gasped immediately, giving everyone at the table a fright. "My goodness, I had no idea it was your birthday, my dear. We should prepare something, unless you have plans?"

"I don't have any plans, but I don't really celebrate my birthday," Sunghoon shrugged. "I'm usually alone on ny birthday, so there was no need for any special celebration. I just got some birthday messages from my parents and my sister, and whoever has my notification on Facebook. Other than that, it's pretty much a regular day."

"I have work that day, unfortunately, but I can bring something home," Mr Sim smiled.

"Mom and I found a cafe that sells whole cakes out in the city — we can buy one," Hyuna suggested excitedly. "My online business pays well, so I can get you a gift as well."

"The day after your birthday, I'm claiming you," Jake grinned brightly, "and we're going to the city. I'll spoil you rotten, I swear."

Sunghoon smiled, shaking his head. "You don't have to do this. Really, I'm okay with it being a regular day."

"Oh, nonsense," Hyuna scoffed, lifting some kimchi with her chopsticks. "We always celebrate birthdays. It's a special day, too, because you're turning 19."

"Last year, we went to the aquarium for my birthday," Jake chuckled. "This year, we just got a cake because we were packing up our things to move when it was my birthday."

"Oh, I forgot to date our move-in day," Mrs Sim hummed. "November 24, 2020."

To think that only about 2 weeks had passed since he met Jake was surreal to Sunghoon. It felt as if they've known one another for ages as if they've been lifetimes together. It felt as if they knew one another inside and out, but knew nothing of each other simultaneously. It was a weird combination, but it felt oddly balanced.

"Sunghoon, son," Mr Sim suddenly piped up, "tomorrow, I want to show you how to change the oil on a car. You're going with me to the petrol station tomorrow, okay?"

Sunghoon nodded. "Okay, Mr Sim."

"Unfair how my dad is more of a father to you than to me," Jake laughed as he continued to eat. The rest of the dinner was quiet, with Hyuna occasionally lifting her phone to check messages. Jake noticed it at some point and raised an eyebrow. "How was the hospital today?"

"Oh, it was successful," Mrs Sim smiled, "but the surgery is a hefty amount of money. We might have to save up for a couple months, and I'd probably have to put in extra hours."

"I'm fine with waiting, I'm in no rush," Hyuna smiled. "Jay also called me while I was at the doctor. He said he missed me, oh my goodness. I want to spend the day with him tomorrow at the farm and… maybe tell him about the fact that I'm trans."

"Honey, isn't it a bit too soon?"

"I can't hide it forever," Hyuna replied to her mother quickly. "My feelings for Jay are growing day by day, and I don't want him to feel betrayed if I withhold it any longer. He means a lot to me — I want to keep him close to my heart, and I don't want to lose him. I want to be as honest as possible."

Mr Sim sighed. "We already spoke with him, but we didn't tell him. We told him that you're… more secretive than you seem, and that he should expect deep news from you. He braced himself, so it shouldn't hit him too hard. Even if he doesn't take the news well, I'll make sure he never hurts my baby girl. You're my daughter, and I won't let some hotshot from the states hurt you."

Hyuna could only laugh. "Of course, Dad."

Jake put his chopsticks down, and Sunghoon soon followed. "Thank you for the meal."

"I ate well," Sunghoon thanked, bowing slightly.

"You two are dismissed, if you have anything to do," Mr Sim allowed, returning to his own meal. Jake and Sunghoon stood up, walking out the dining room to the kitchen. Sunghoon washed his hands while Jake put their empty or used utensils in the sink.

"Our dog should be coming soon," Jake suddenly announced excitedly. "Layla had to stay at a nearby relative as we set our house up, and she'll be here next week. Ah, I really missed my dog."

"Oh, I forgot you had a dog," Sunghoon hummed as he dried his hands. "Do you think she'll like me?"

"Oh, definitely," Jake nodded, accidentally bumping into the taller as he walked around him. "Sorry. Anyways, she's very smart, but only responds to English, so you might have to learn key phrases to talk to her, like 'sit' or 'roll over'."

Jake was still running a towel through his damp hair when he walked into his room. Sunghoon was on the bed, typing furiously on his phone with a frown on his expression. Jake frowned closing the door behind him and moving to sit beside Sunghoon. "Hey… is something wrong?"

"My parents are being stupid," Sunghoon muttered angrily. "I hate them so fucking much…"

Jake widened his eyes in surprise, putting a hand on Sunghoon's to calm him down. "Hey, there's no need for such language. What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?"

Sunghoon was quiet for a bit. "They want me to come home because they want to sell the house. They thought the house is a mere asset that can be liquidated, and they're thinking of selling everything. I hate them so much, sometimes I wonder if I'll even matter if I just end my life. Would they even notice that I'm gone? Would they even care? They don't even love me. They just make decisions that ruin my life and they don't even notice that m-my life just falls apart when they're around…!"

Sunghoon had tears in his eyes and he quickly looked away as his tears fell. Jake quickly dropped the towel, reached forward to pull Sunghoon into a tight hug. The position was slightly awkward, but Sunghoon really needed a hug at that moment. Jake didn't say anything, and rather let Sunghoon cry it out.

"Do you finally want to talk about it?" Jake asked softly. Sunghoon was silent, only letting out a sniffle before nodding.

"I guess you deserve to know."