sewe en twintig ;

It was Sunghoon's birthday in two days, and Jake truly had no idea what to get his boyfriend. Sunghoon was used to not particularly getting gifts ("My parents just sent money every year," was what he said) so there weren't any hints as to what he wanted. Jake sighed, tossing his phone to his bed before he fell down beside it, his mind running blank as he had no thoughts.

"Jakey, what's wrong?"

Jake simply hummed, as if it were enough to explain his train of thought to the other. Sunghoon got on the bed, gently kissing the back of Jake's neck before lying down beside him. Jake blushed in embarrassment, but didn't comment on it. "What do you want to do on your birthday?"

"Anything — as long as I'm with you," Sunghoon replied. "Honestly, just being with you can make any day better. I just want to spend time with my love and grow closer."

Jake turned his head to look at Sunghoon with a sigh. "I guess we could just go cafe hopping. I also want to do some shopping, since I haven't left this village since arriving."

"It's too cold to go outside — let's just do things indoors," Sunghoon said with a slight complaining tone. "Let's just be together. That's more than enough. Let's just hang out."

"It needs to be special."

"You're special, stop that." Jake deadpanned and Sunghoon only grinned in response. He put his head on Jake's shoulder, his grin dimming to a softer smile. "It's enough to be with you, Jake. It's all I need to be happy."

Jake sighed softly, flicking Sunghoon's forehead. "Okay, I get that, but be a little more materialistic, even just for a moment. I want to get you something, jeez."

Sunghoon was quiet for a bit before smiling slightly. "Maybe… okay, I've always wanted a model airplane. If you can get me one, I'd be really happy."

Jake nodded immediately, reaching to pick up his phone. "I'll do my best to get one for you." Sunghoon was quiet for a bit before kissing the back of Jake's neck again and standing up from the bed. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get my book so that I can read," Sunghoon replied. "Unless you have something in mind that we can do together?"

"Let's watch a movie," Jake said, standing up from the bed as well. "Take my phone downstairs, I'll meet you there — I need to get an extra blanket from the cabinet."

Sunghoon nodded, taking their phones as Jake scurried down the corridor. Sunghoon started his journey downstairs, stopping half-way when Jake's phone made a little bell sound because he got a message. Sunghoon raised both phones, as they both owned iPhones and he wasn't sure who got a message, and in doing so, he saw Jake's screen.

Dr. Yook Gwang Jae
Hello, Jaeyoon. This is just a reminder of your appointment with me next week Monday. We already had to reschedule twice, and I'm worried something might ha…

The preview of the message ended there and Sunghoon frowned. His curiosity got the best of him, and he unlocked the phone. Jake had told him his password before — it was the day he adopted Layla — and Sunghoon checked the message from the doctor.

Dr. Yook Gwang Jae
> Hello, Jaeyoon. This is just a reminder of your appointment with me next week Monday. We already had to reschedule twice, and I'm worried something might happen while you are at home. To prevent any unnecessary accidents, we need to check with you. It might be best to meet sooner, in fact, so please keep in touch, and reply ASAP.
Regards, Dr. Yook.

Sunghoon was quiet as he stared at the message. He didn't know Jake had to meet s doctor. He heard Jake scurrying towards the staircase and Sunghoon turned to him, tears forming in his eyes. Jake was smiling, but his grin was wiped away immediately at the sight of his boyfriend.

"Sunghoon…?"

"You don't trust me, do you?" Sunghoon asked immediately, making the Australian boy flinch. He tried to speak, but Sunghoon spoke uo quickly. "Jake, I thought we confided in one another. Why didn't you tell me you have to go to the hospital?"

Jake widened his eyes, looking at his phone in Sunghoon's hands. "Y-you looked at my messages…?"

"You got one just now from the doctor," Sunghoon explained with the tone of someone trying explain themself hurriedly. "What's wrong? Why don't I know? Is there something wrong with you, Jake? Are you hurt somewhere? Why do you need to go to the hospital?"

Jake felt tears prick his eyes as he put the blanket down by his side. "Sunghoon, I love you. I really, truly love you. With love, there are… imperfections. There always are. And considering the two of us, I'm the imperfection." He sniffled, quickly wiping his eyes to rid them of tears. "I don't want to hurt you, so I'd rather not—"

"The fact that you don't trust me is hurting me," Sunghoon said. "I'm not rushing you at all, but… w-why? Why hide it? How serious is it?"

"It's not too serious," Jake replied softly. "I'm afraid that… if I expose myself to any more weaknesses, I might disappoint you with who I am."

Their fears were exactly the same.

"Jake, you're the reason I'm still alive right now," Sunghoon said, walking up the stairs to stand before Jake. "I can't ever lose you. I want to know. I need to know. I want to know what are my chances of losing you to inevitability."

Jake was quiet before shaking his head. "You won't lose me. I swear."

"Then can I know?"

He deserved to know. Jake and Sunghoon were soulmates, and Sunghoon trusted him enough to confide in him and open his heart. Jake wanted to open up as well, and it was likely that Sunghoon would become unnecessarily worried if he knew. But nonetheless, it was impossible to hold it back forever — so Jake told him.

"I'm suffering from liver failure."