ses en dertig ;

Sunghoon, at that point, was fine with admitting that he was absolutely smitten with Sim Jake.

It was Sunghoon's birthday, yet nothing brought him greater joy than to see Jake be absolutely adorable as he looked at their surroundings with such wonder and amazement. Sunghoon loved his everything, and he didn't care if he was painfully obvious. All he wanted was Jake's happiness and for him to keep smiling forever.

But with Jake's nearing hospital appointment, Sunghoon didn't know how to truly feel. Jake wasn't too worried, as he was quite sure he'd be okay, but the smallest of chances was still a chance nonetheless, albeit less likely to happen. Sunghoon knew he wouldn't lose Jake — that the universe wouldn't pull them apart — yet he was still worried, and had every reason to be so.

After all, he was in love.

Jake was quite good at keeping up a facade. Truly, he was worried as well, even if there was barely anything to worry about. A relapse was highly unlikely in that point in time, as he had truly found his happiness, Park Sunghoon. But he wouldn't want to ruin Sunghoon's birthday with constant worries, and focused on keeping Sunghoon as happy as possible.

But their day out in the little town soon drew to a close at around four in the afternoon. Jake knew he'd have to abstain from snacks for the next few days if he wanted to keep his health up after all the unhealthy food he had with Sunghoon that day, but it was okay. He'd make whatever sacrifices to see Sunghoon smile.

"So how was today, ice prince?" Jake asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets as a gentle breeze from the train track's side blew against his skin.

"Today was the best day," Sunghoon sighed with a smile. "It was the best birthday in literal years. Thank you so much, baby."

"Ah, stop that. No baby."

"Baby."

"No baby here, stop."

Sunghoon laughed and Jake giggled slightly, looking down shyly. Sunghoon sighed, putting his head against Jake's gently. The heat filling him from head to toe proved helpful in staying warm in the suddenly cold weather. It was barely winter, yet the temperatures dropped to at least 6°C on this day. He slowly grew less and less accustomed to the cold as he grew familiar with Jake's heat.

"Something about you makes me just so happy," Sunghoon muttered. "Your smile makes me happy. Your laugh makes me happy. Your warmth makes me happy. You make me happy. And that's special, when everything about someone just fills you with joy. It'll be my worse fear for us to be seperated."

Jake was quiet before moving his hand to join Sunghoon's in his coat pocket. Sunghoon felt his cheeks tint and Jake smiled. "Fear not, oh ice prince — for I shall never leave your side."

"I thought we said no to embarrassing nicknames."

"That was spoken as soon as you called me the Prince of Gangwon, even though we've barely been here a month."

Sunghoon could only laugh. "That's right."

Sunoo was about to pick up his phone when he got a message on Kakao, prompting him to pick it up regardless, although for a different reason. He smiled, seeing Niki's name on the screen. He and the Japanese boy had gotten quite close, even if it was still a little awkward between them. The soulmate bond was definitely there, but because of the vast age gap, and the fact that they met too soon, threw them off ever so slightly.

But they still tried to get closer. Sunoo had been over to the farm more often, catching Niki in time before he disappeared to the dance studio in the town, and Niki often invited him for horse rides. Their effort to get closer showed that they were trying, and they were both equally proud of their efforts.

나의 NIKI
> hyung-ah~~~
> talk to me >:(

떠누
> why why why, what's wrong?

나의 NIKI
> jay hyung has been with his girlfriend all day and I don't know what to do with my time anymore :(
> my brother has ABANDONED ME ㅠㅠ

떠누
> that's not true bby
> but I don't think we can talk right now
> it's sunghoon's mini birthday party in fifteen minutes and I have to get ready

나의 NIKI
> oh :(
> well, then that's fine, we can talk later

떠누
> omg please don't be upset :(((
> nikiiiiiiiiiii
> niki respond please :(((((
> I'll ask jake if you can come, then we can meet
> I'm sure Mrs Sim would love to meet you, since you're jay hyung's brother

나의 NIKI
> …
> you think so?

떠누
> of course, silly
> goodness, you're so cute ˋε ˊ

나의 NIKI
> I'm literally only cute around you lol
> there's no one to really show my so-called 'cuteness' since jay hyung finds it weird

떠누
> he doesn't like my aegyo either >:(
> but I'll message you in a bit, okay?
> I'll just check with jake hyung

나의 NIKI
> okay~~
> \(.=^・ェ・^=)/

떠누
> skhdksms so cuteeeee uwuwuwuwu

Jake, of course, agreed. While he and Sunghoon were upstairs, the rest of the family got things together in the living room. Jake was given the task to occupy Sunghoon until they were told to come downstairs — which was okay with him because he felt rather lazy and didn't want to help downstairs.

"I wonder if I should open my parents' gift now," Sunghoon muttered, eyeing the box on Jake's desk with nervous eyes.

Jake shrugged slightly. "Dunno. You can if you want to, or you can leave it to the last so you can open everyone's together."

Sunghoon stood up from the bed, tossing thr throw blanket they had on their laps aside and looking for his phone that was beside them. "I'm going to the bathroom for a bit. Don't wait up on me, it's a stomach problem."

Jake simply nodded quickly and Sunghoon smiled, walking out the room. Jake deflated slightly, looking up at the ceiling. Sunghoon never really knew what to do, considering his parents, but Jake would always do his best to support him no matter what. He didn't want Sunghoon to dwell on memories, so he'd do anything to distract him.

That included the surprise he planned to give his boyfriend later when everyone was asleep.