Chapter Forty-Two

* * *

"Mate safe. Pup safe. I'll find who did this."

With her eyes widening at the sight of her mate this angry, she lost her train of thought and simply watched him storm out of the room.

She was hardly left alone for more than a minute as Blake came in with a cup filled with small ice cubes, but with Remus' wolf no longer pinning her down—It was time for her to hunt down that voice.

"Sage, no hun, you need to lie down. The pup—"
"Pup's fine, I don't drink enough tea. Come, we find voice."
"Voice? What voice?... Sage, please. Please, lie back down." He couldn't really argue with her, he wasn't her mate or superior in terms of rank.

He was her Charge, he was meant to follow her.

"Remmy's too angry."
"Y-yeah, but he's going to be a lot angrier if he sees that you're up. Where are you going?" He watched helplessly as Sage dressed in the spare clothes, she was limping but otherwise held determination in them.

Granted the IVs in her sent the nurses in a panic as three came rushing over, they begged her not to leave. Yet they were in the same boat as Blake, they were in no position to stop her, and Elenor was just as scared as Kenzie in fear of what the Alpha would do—Not just to them, but to the rest of the pack.

Or to the person who did this.

Blake and Ellie walked on either side of Sage, yet she refused an extra arm—Or did until she heard Remus yelling to the pack.

"He's angry..."
"He's not just angry hun, he's devastated. What you drank is meant to kill a pup, and sometimes if a she-wolf drinks too much...It kills them too." Sage choked on her breath, her hands snaking around her stomach.

"But pup's okay."
"They almost weren't, and if it's a pack member, Sage—You're in danger, that's why we were ordered not tell any other packs. Enemies would do this. Jade hid it too." Elenor explained, and it made Blake feel much more informed.

He would've for sure thought that Jade would be the first outsider to know within the day, but she wasn't. And she still was left in the dark.

"—IF ANYONE KNOWS A HINT, A RUMOR, ANYTHING—I ASK YOU STEP FORWARD NOW!" While the voice caused both her companions to crane their necks in response to his booming voice, Sage's wolf whined in hearing the pain.

Don't trust...
...These demons.

Sage's head shot back towards Blake, her mouth gaping as she heard the woman's voice once again. But it couldn't have come from her side, it wasn't a link. A link would leave a small connection between each side, this felt like a whisper in the wind.

It felt as if Ellie spoke to her, but it wasn't her friend either. It was the same voice as before, so where did it come from?!

Remus' attempts at kindly asking the pack for information had suddenly turned into a promise of invasion of privacy, yet there hadn't been a refusal. Even though the pack was being questioned, there was anger in them as well.

They wanted to help, but Remus was starting to become unreasonable—Even though Sage never used the word in her life. The Beta informed them and promised that whoever ordered Murax leaves was going to be found.

"IT WAS THOSE ROGUES! THEY SHOULD'VE NEVER JOINED THE PACK!" A voice shouted, and it ignited the rage of wolves who battled or agreed with the notion of the Rogues joining the pack was a mistake.

While the Reformed were sprinkled within the assembly themselves, they remained utterly silent and in fear that they were going to be blamed.

As Sage neared the crowd, the attention of prayers and begging of forgiveness had sparked upon her arrival—Yet the yelling still reigned, and Remus was reminding the pack of the law.