Chapter Twenty-Five

* * *

An accounted twenty she-wolves had gone through their heat, including Sage and Elenor. And while there was a bit of hypocrisy, the pack soon continued on their daily lives knowing that the other she-wolves would get their time eventually.

Sage's ability to produce an heir for their Alpha was being tested now, and some were all too keen to point out that perhaps the scientists had made her infertile.

How was Sage meant to respond in hearing that?
It made her wolf feel like a failure, so much so that she had called Jade in tears over the whole ordeal. But Jade was such a calm figure in her life that it was quickly defused, that she herself had been through a few heats before Hardin came.

This led to Sage hiding her first real secret from Remus, her friend explained that all Luna's and she-wolves went through this type of discrimination, that sometimes pack politics saw them as nothing but breeders for the next generation.

"Our mates aren't like that, Sage. Remus wanted you to be ready to try for a pup. There are ways to stop a pup from being made during heat, but he waited for your consent. It doesn't matter what the pack thinks, you'll have a pup soon." Sage had been reduced to tears, though of course, it was all due to the comments from the older generation—And all women at that.

Sage would stare in wonder in the mirror thinking of how a pup would fit into her stomach, and the deity above just took this as a significant memento.

After her call with Jade, she hopped into the shower in hopes that the hot water would get rid of the scent of tears. And while she was minding her own thoughts, she failed to hear her mate come home—Or join her until two arms snaked around her waist and a kiss lingered on her neck.

"Goddess Sage, the water's burning." He grumbled, quickly putting it a few degrees lower, she turned around with a smile. Pushing back all that happened as she snuggled into his hold.
It wasn't that odd, her heat had only been a few days ago, meaning that the possession and obsession with each other were still high.

"You're warm." He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her further. "I missed you too, I'm sorry I had to leave so early this morning."
"That's okay, you're home now." Remus felt his wolf relish in her full sentences, no hisses or growls—Unless provoked. Instead, she spoke her mind and disagreed when she felt the need to.

It made communicating so much easier, and he had to give credit to Evie. She was the one who worked with Sage constantly and taught her almost everything required for her to earn a high school diploma.

The days leading up to their departure to Grey Hallow were rather daunting, Sage felt scared to shift. Thinking that it would disrupt her body in making a pup—So she avoided it until she felt the worries leave.

Her wolf tried to sniff herself but hadn't gotten any change in her scent, it made her tail lower and inflicted a two-hour run that Jack joined in halfway through after realizing she had gone alone.

I know my way around pack.
She'd say, and it caused Jack to roll his eyes and sneeze in his wolf form.

Yeah, I know that Peaches, but Luna's aren't supposed to be alone anyways. That's dangerous, especially with how many Rogue attacks we've had this year already.
Jack explained, and from recent knowledge of other packs and learning about the hierarchy system a little bit more.

She realized just recently that her and Jack's relationship wasn't all that odd, even when she was still living with the Elwoods and hadn't met Remus yet. Both Jack and Eli had argued in the favor of her staying in Crescent Moon, their protective nature over her triumphed over an Alpha's decision.