Elric gently pushed my hair back from my shoulder and then pulled his hand back immediately upon realizing it.

"Um.. maybe.. or maybe you guys think that cause he is the oldest and don't see how hard he works, he seems lucky. But, he's not lucky. I've seen him work hard and then making it sound like it's no big deal."

I bit my lower lip. "I don't want to discredit that he works hard. Was I being mean?"

Elric leaned a bit forward. "A bit. But that doesn't make you a bad person."

"Just ignorant," I added disappointed in myself.

"No." He shook his head. "It's okay to feel like that. You're allowed to put him on a pedestal and think he is lucky because that is what he wants you to think."

I took some time to process that. He was right.. I couldn't deny what he said at all. My gut clenched just by the thought of letting Elric go.

He stared back in my eyes and leaned forward a bit.

"Elri.." I whispered his name just as he was about to lean even forward.

Was he going to kiss me? Was I going to stop him?

"Lucy! Francy! Look what I got?"

Ace was carrying a big wrapped box and Kai was munching on a burger behind him.

"That's a big box." Elric glared at it. "It looks like electronics.. You said no electronics."

"I said no pc." Ace smiled and then placed the box down on the bench. Kai passed us the paper bag with the food boxes. It was still hot.

"I smell mushrooms and pasta." I took the box out and opened the lid. The steam hit my face and oh boy. It smelled so good.

Taking the fork packed with the food I took a bite of the hot food.

"Oh wow." I covered my mouth. "This is so good."

"Let me try." Elric took my fork and took one big bite. "Oh shit..Hot..but good."

"Here is yours." Kai passed Elric a box and then one for Ace.

We all ate in silence until we realized we were being really quiet.

"Did mom say what time everyone was coming tomorrow?" I asked Ace.

"Around eight. But dad's side grandma and grandpa might come over earlier."

"We should get the decorations down tonight if mom and Rehan didn't manage to do it all tonight," I told him.

"After this, I'm going with some school friends." Ace looked at Kai. "Can you help her?"

"I'm meeting David and the others later and then dad will pick me up for food shopping for tomorrow," Kai answered.

"You're still fighting with Fin?" I was surprised. I thought Kai would at least talk to him about it.

"Let's not talk about it now." He said and glanced at Elric.

"But he always comes for Rehan's birthday. This year..."I got interrupted.

"What is the fight about?" Elric asked, taking another bite of his food.

Kai gave me a disapproving look for even bringing it up.

"It's because he is thinking of going abroad to study and didn't bother to tell anyone." Ace answered.

"So your friend is angry at you." Elric dropped the fork down. "Go and apologize. Or you'll never talk to him again."

Ace and I stopped eating. Did he just?..

Before we got a chance to stop him, he continued.

"Ace and I are planning on continuing the business even in university. If he decides to go abroad and not tell me about it, I'll consider it a betrayal."

Elric's voice was calm but heavy.

Kai pressed his lips together. "But I'm not even sure I'm going to go. It's just an option."

"It's still something you're considering. University is not an overnight trip. You'll probably be gone a year or two. Or all four years. Don't you think that changes things?"

Kai stared down at Elric. It seemed like he was coming up with a thing to say, but he came up with nothing.

"I'm not saying don't go.. I'm just saying it would have been better if you at least gave him a heads up. Maybe he had plans on his own." Elric added and then focused back on his food.

We all stayed silent. Elric was right and I could see it in his eyes, Kai knew it.

Ten minutes later Kai left and Ace and I stayed alone with Elric.

"I'm going to take this to the car." Ace got up taking his birthday present. "I'll be right back."

As soon as we were alone I glanced at Elric.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He said with a stoic expression.

"For confronting Kai about it. We can't get him to understand the emotional side of things and we hate angering him, trying."

Elric simply nodded and leaned back on the bench. He seemed to be in deep thought.

Ace really came back quickly and he insisted we looked around the festival before we split up.

***

"Elric, can you take Francy home?" Ace asked after our walk.

"Sure no problem." He gave him a nod and before I got a chance to say anything we were alone again.

"You don't have to drive me home," I said.

"I'm not letting you go home alone this late. It's not for debate."

I got into the car. He got back to being silent.

I leaned towards the door staring outside. This sucks.

When we got to my house, he turned towards me, breaking the car-ride-long silence. "You were right. We can't be friends. I can't be indifferent towards you, especially when we are alone. And if we are friends there will be a moment I will cross the line."

I bit my lips and nodded. "I think we should see each other as least as possible."

"And avoid being alone."

"And don't talk about anything personal."

He nodded in compliance.

"Goodnight Francy."

"Bye."

I opened the door and then walked back home refusing to turn around.