Chapter 1

First day at a new school and it's all my father's fault. He just couldn't leave me alone. Thankfully it's only the second marking period. My Aunt Isabel and I just moved here last week. Now that we are all moved in, she is sending me to the local high school.

I jump out of bed at the sound of my alarm. I take a quick shower, and then dry off my auburn hair. I apply a little make up, to bring out my hazel eye color, and put on a blue floral top, with some navy blue jeans.

After I grab my breakfast and slip on my boots, I say goodbye to my Aunt, and head out the door to catch my bus. Even though I'm 16, I still don't have my driver's license. My aunt doesn't trust me enough; she thinks I might get in a car accident, like my mom.

You see, supposedly when I was 6 my mom went to take my twin brother Lukas, and my older brother Jedediah, to my dad's after they split up. However, when they were driving through the woods a truck came along and killed them all. I was then put under my father's care until I ran away, with my aunt.

******************************************************************************

Once I get to school I head to the office, to get my schedule. My first class is chemistry. I step into the classroom just as the bell rings. Looking around the room I see a few open seats. Most of them are next to cute guys, but that would draw too much attention. I find a seat in the back of the classroom next to some girls and start to walk over there when another girl sits there.

"Everyone take your seats and open up to page 348 in the blue book!" the teacher shouts. "And who are you?" he asks me when everyone looks my way.

I can feel my face burn up. I don't like to be the center of attention.

"I'm Layla Jones, I just moved here last week."

"Okay, you will sit next to Chris." He says as he points to a cute guy in the middle of the room.

I take my seat and pull out my book, but I'm not sure what page to turn to.

"We are on page 348." Chris whispers to me.

"Thanks"

"No problem."

For the rest of the class I try to pay attention, but it's hard when there is a cute guy sitting right next to you. Chris looks like a typical guy, but one that tries to act cool, with his shaggy brown hair, and piercing blue eyes.

All I want to do is get out of this class, so with the bell about to ring in less than 30 seconds I grab my bag and toss my books in it. Next class is homeroom, for 15 minutes, where I can finally relax and concentrate on my reading.

I'm the first one to my class and I pick a seat in the back of the room. And just to my lucky the next person to walk into class is none other than Chris; so much for reading. I quickly grab my cell phone out of my bag, and try to hide it under my desk so I can text my best friend, Ruth. That's when the teacher sees me.