Thirty-Six

"His: Negan Fanfiction"

NATASHA'S heart thumped in her chest, the grass and sticks cracking under her bare feet as she ran. Her breath hitched at every step she took, fear racing through her veins.

Her arms and legs burned from the leafless sticks slicing her skin as she ran by, but she didn't stop to dwell on the pain.

She just kept running.

Natasha didn't even have to look back to know that he was close. In the back of her mind, she knew that he was going to catch her - he always did.

No matter how many times she tried to get away from him, she couldn't. Since the tragedy, he's always been out to get her. Always been out to make her life hell. She was just as affected about what happened as he was, probably even more since she has to deal with him.

After what happened, he was never the same. He became irritable, angry, violent. He blamed everything on Natasha, and unfortunately, she couldn't be mad at him for that.

What happened was her fault. If only she did something, maybe things would have turned out differently.

Their marriage would be how it use to be. He wouldn't look at Natasha with so much disgust every single day. She wouldn't feel so guilty for doing the only thing she could do in that horrifying moment - stand there.

If things were different, Natasha wouldn't hate herself. Wishing she was more brave and strong. She could be the wife that he deserved.

Panting, Natasha looked back to make sure she was far enough away. Somehow, she wasn't able to see anymore. She couldn't even hear him.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she came to a halt. Suddenly, in the distance, she could hear the faint sound of music.

The melody was familiar.

Natasha followed the sound, her heartbeat slowing down from her change of pace. She passed tree by tree, getting closer and closer to the edge of the woods.

Arriving at the outskirt of the forest, she approached the beach. Near the blue ocean water was a recognizable brown recliner, with a small table beside it and a record player, playing Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley.

It was one of her favorite songs that her father used to play when she was a little girl.

The fear that once moved its way through her veins was now happiness. Her heartbeat was in sync with the melody of the music. The scene before Natasha gave her peace, the love of her father embracing her completely.

She stood there, taking everything in. Just being there gave her peace of mind that she hadn't experienced in a long time.

To her surprise, a man stood out of the recliner and turned to look at her. It was a welcoming face that she hadn't seen in what felt like an eternity.

"Dad," she gasped, looking into gleeful eyes.

As Natasha took off running toward him, he stood with his arms wide open.

The moment she was in his arms, she cried.

Her sob was full of joy and yet sorrow.

Natasha was happy about seeing her dad but at the same time sad because of the way her life was.

He held her tight, stroking her hair soothingly. "It's okay, it's okay," he whispered to her. "You don't have to run anymore. You don't have to be afraid. You're here now."