Thirty-Four||Part Two

Start from the beginning

Gulping, she went inside.

All eyes went on her instantly. She forced a smile as she closed the screen door.

To her surprise, everyone came flooding toward her - neighbors, old friends, giving their hugs and condolences.

It took everything in her not to cry. She forgot how loving her town was.

As she was receiving hugs, she noticed Melina watching her closely. For a moment, she looked pissed, but her facial expression softened to Addison's bit of relief.

"Hey, sis, " Addison greeted her with a hug.

"Look who decided to show up," Melina hugs her back.

"Please, not today," Addy whispered in her ear.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm not gonna get in your ass now. Probably later, though."

"I'm sure of it, "Addison chuckled, squeezing her tight.

Noticing Alex, she pulls away from her sister.

"Addy," he said with a smile.

Addison's eyes watered, "Alex." Tears slid down her face as he pulled her into a tight embrace. His chin sat right on her head as it always did because of the significant height difference.

Alex had realized that she left him behind too - her best friend.

The only man she's ever really trusted.

"God, you look so good." he complimented, ogling her.

She wipes her face, blushing, "thanks."

"Addie!" Mrs. Norwood came in for the next squeeze. "I'm so glad you came!"

"I told you she would," said her husband, Mr. Norwood. "Glad you're home," he took his turn.

"It feels great to be home," she pulled away, letting out a sigh of relief.

The hard part was over - for now, it at least.

Noticing she was missing somebody, Addison looks around, "now, where is -"

"Addy!" her younger made her stumble a bit by her abrupt hug. "I knew you'd come," she was crying.

Addison squeezed her tight, unable to hold back any more tears.

Knowing Sarah needed them more than anything right now is what got her there.

"You're so beautiful," she wiped Sarah's wet cheeks as they smiled at each other.

"Now that you are all here, it's time to read the will." Mrs. Noorwood ushered everyone into the living room.

Melina and Addison shared confused looks.

"I didn't know mom had a will," said the oldest sister.

They sat down on the couch with Addison in between them.

"She wrote one not too long after you guys left," informed Sarah.

Melina and Addison look at one another, sharing that look of guilt.

Mrs. Norwood stood in front of the fireplace with a paper and three envelopes. Everyone quieted down, giving her their full attention.

"This is a letter from Elise to her girls."

The sisters held hands, listening intently.

"Girls, if you are reading this, I am no longer here. I want you to know that I love you so much, no matter what. You three are one of my best accomplishments in life, and I'm proud to be your mom. To you, I leave the bakery. I expect you all to work together and keep up the business until you're wrinkly and old."

Everyone laughed.

"I also give you this house where I raised you three to be the beautiful, intelligent woman you are today. This leads me to my most important dying wish.  That my three girls live in this house together. I know that Addy and Melina have their own lives, but Sarah needs you. You all need each other during this time, even if you don't know it."

Mrs. Norwood's voice cracked as she fought back the tears.

"Melina, Addy, one of my biggest regrets is never telling you two to come home, just because I was too afraid to intervene in your lives. Well, I'm intervening now. I want you three to grow a bond that I was able to grow with Mrs. Noorwood. Some may call us best friends, but I call her my sister."

The three sisters look at one another. Moving in together made them nervous. They hadn't been under the same roof for a long time, and neither of them was the girl each other once knew.

"I know I can't force you to fulfill my wish. So, all I ask is that you at least consider. I love you three so much. Any time you feel down, remember I'm always with you, mom."

Mrs. Noorwood sniffled, wiping an escaping tear with the back of her hand. She cleared her throat, "and this is for you three."

She gives them the three envelopes. It had their names on it.

"Now I remember she gave me specific instructions about these letters. She said you do not open them until the time is right."

"When the time is right?" Addison scoffed. "Well, when is the right time?"

"She said only you'll know."

"Of course she did," Sarah wasn't surprised.

"And that's it," clapped Mrs. Norwood.

There was soft applause as everyone started to disperse.

Some came over saying, "I know you guys will do a good job at keeping up the baker."

And "if you need anything, let me know."

Even, "It's gonna be great having you and Melina back in town."

The three sisters sat on the couch quietly for a long time.

"So . . ." Sarah broke the silence. "Mom wants you to come back home."

Melina nodded thoughtfully, "yeah, her most important wish."

"Are you?"

Addison and Melina looked at each other, the question hanging in the air.