• 42

A

It was nearing four thirty and the sun was slowly setting. As we rode down a dirt road, the whole street was bathed in a beautiful sunset orange. The sky was a beautiful union of many different shades. Pinks, purples, blues and oranges. The beauty of sunsets still manages to mesmerise me to no ends.

Niall stopped at one point and got off his bike. I parked my bike right beside his. We weren't worried about anyone stealing anything solely because we were surrounded by absolute nothingness.

Niall extended his hand and I didn't hesitate to grab it. He interlocked both our hands and put it in his coat pocket, keeping my hands warm, and me right next to him. There was a thin trail through the field and Niall pulled me with him.

Comfortable silence.

The two of us just admired the beauty around us. The plants slowly springing back to life as the cold season came to an end. The ever so beautiful sky, painted in a variety of colours. The long path ahead of us. I was in awe. How beautiful was this place? I could stay here forever, happily.

If only I could just drop my life back in LA and move here. It isn't possible. Never will be. But I'm happy with my life. I'm not the happiest person but I sure am a lucky one. I've come so far and, yes of course talent plays a big role, but my luck must've been through the roof.

Niall's thumb was rubbing circles into my skin as we walked ahead. My head rested on his shoulder as I curled unbelievably close to him.

I took comfort in him, I realised.

"How are you?" Niall asked, randomly.

"Happy," I answered after taking a moment to think. Because I truly was happy. He made me happy. "How are you?"

"Content," he answered, looking ahead. "As content as I could be."

"Niall?" I called. He turned to look at me, not pausing the walk.

"Thank you," I said, my voice still a need whisper. I refused to break the silence.

"You're welcome, sugar," he whispered, reciprocating the same feelings as I.

He pressed a chaste kiss to my hair. The feeling of his lips lingered on my hair. I pulled him down to me and kissed him properly, a small smile taking the place of the earlier thin line his lips were pressed into.

"Let's take a picture," I suggested randomly. We found a little tree we could balance the phone on. The phone was set to take bursts of pictures in ten seconds so we could come up with a pose. He placed it against the tree and stood in front of me.

"You're really awkward with pictures, aren't you?" I chuckled. He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"I don't like being photographed," he said.

"How opposite, we are," I giggled. I could see the flash blink three times before taking the picture. We completely forgot about the picture as he tilted my head up to kiss my lips. It wasn't anything too spicy, only very emotional. My head rested against his as I deeply inhaled.

"I'm going to miss this," I said and he nodded.

"I would too," he replied.

"At least we made the best out of these two days," I smiled, trying to be optimistic. He gave me a quick smile before detaching from me to grab his phone.

Our conversation remained light as we walked through the field, happily swinging our hands. We knew, we knew full well, we'd never get such a time for a while after we return to LA. Our lives were simply too hectic and didn't give us time for such simplicities. As much as our hearts craved for more, we can only satiate some of its needs.