• 23

A

"This church, as father said, is the one I attended my whole life until I moved to LA. I hope I'm not boring you," I said, realising I've just been talking about myself and old nostalgic memories I have and Niall and I aren't really the best of friends. I'm just feeling so at home that I would talk to anyone and anything about everything.

"No. You're not boring me," He said.

"I know we aren't like close or anything but being at home is just... just a breath of fresh air," I said.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. And I know we aren't friends and shit but I can't stop you from babbling on about this, so by all means, go ahead," He said. I chuckled because I know, even though he was being rude, this was his way of giving me permission to rant.

We were still sat on the wooden pews of the church. The surrounding white cement walls looked dark in the moon light. Dark wooden pillars supported the whole building.

"This place is beautiful," he said.

"We should go out. Gosh this place looks like heaven on earth during winters," I said, exiting the church. I grabbed the keys before leaving. Niall followed me out. The green grass was covered in a thick blanket of snow. My hands were in my pocket, keeping it nice and warm.

As I would as a child, I took of running into the grass, Niall hot on my trail. The cold air stung my face as I ran but I'd never felt more free, more peaceful, when I did so.

I stopped under a tree. Walking around the tree, trying to find those engravings my siblings and I did when we were younger. My fingers traced the bark until I came across a weirdly scribbled 'P'. I chuckled when I traced my hand over the rest. We couldn't carve curved lines so we carved straight lines.

"What's got you laughing?" Niall asked, reaching me.

"You have your phone?" I asked and he nodded. I put my hand out and he looked sceptical. "Can I have it?" He put the device in my palm. I turned on the flashlight and shone it on the markings.

"When Benny was 13, we wanted to 'leave our mark' so we carved our names on this tree," I said, showing him the markings.

"But these are not your names," he said, reading all names.

"Nicknames," I corrected.

"Who was Teddy?" Niall asked.

"Benny was Teddy. Vanna was Honey. And I was... Puppy," I said, a pang of pain shooting through my heart, hearing that nickname.

"Why?" He asked.

"Benny had this Teddy bear he never gave up and I think he still has it," I chuckled.

"Vanna... I'm not sure, it kinda just stuck. I think my dad started calling her honey and soon we also started calling her that," I said.

"And Puppy?" He asked. Something about the way he said it, made me want to cry.

"Parents always called me it and I got used to it. So that's about that," I said vaguely.

"I feel like there's more to it," He said.

"There is... But I don't feel like crying and besides, how long are you going to stick around? Soon you'll be out of my life too," I mumbled, handing his phone back.

I continued to walk through the beautiful place, looking around and remembering small tidbits of memories correlating to it. Every so often, telling Niall a backstory.

"What's the time?" I asked.

"About 1. You want to head back?" He asked.

"Mmm no," I shook my head.