the night we met | t. jost

Start from the beginning

Tyson didn't want to brag, but as a slightly cocky smirk came onto his face- he nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah I actually got drafted to the Colorado avs... Im just in town visiting family for a bit." He mentioned-

Even though she wasn't an avid hockey fan, Y/N knew that they were in the middle of the season- so if Tyson was in Edmonton and not Colorado, something might have happened- As if he recognized her concern, the boy quickly waved his hands. "I promise I didn't get like kicked out or anything, We played a game here last night and our flight is leaving on the red-eye so I thought I would visit the city one last time before shipping out." He explained.

Nodding along, Y/N assumed that he probably didn't have anyone to show him around- and the city had definitely grown up a lot in the last few years. When jimmy came over and passed Tyson his beer, the girl tilted her head. "Well, the city has changed a lot... there's a lot of new things and some of the old are still the same- but Edmonton is definitely different since you left." She promised him.

Something in Tyson struck a nerve, he watched as the girl went to pick up her things- seemingly heading out as she was finished spending time at the bar, but that didn't mean the boy wanted to give up on her so easily. "Do you think maybe you could show me around?" He asked softly. Usually he wasn't the type to be so bold when it came to women- but something about Y/N and the history they shared made him more confident, if not that- more reckless.

Pausing her motions, the girl was just throwing her purse over her shoulder when he asked. It took a minute to think about it, but she wasn't really looking forward to going back to her apartment just yet- her day was terrible, so maybe Tyson could help turn it around. The girl nodded softly. "Yeah sure- That sounds like fun." She admitted.

Y/N was expecting Tyson to want to stay and finish her beer, but instead, he took a long swing- only drinking half the bottle before he took out his wallet and laid some cash on the bar. Grabbing his jacket, he headed out with her- ready to see what adventures awaited him.

The pair started their escapade by walking through the downtown circuit- taking in the new skyscrapers that seemed to reach the heavens, while also paying attention to some of the old historic building that had been preserved by city hall. They walked side by side, carrying a conversation over the slight breeze- it was definitely chilly and there was a little bit of snow on the ground, Y/N's coat not doing very much to protect her.

Shuffling closer to Tyson, the man extended his arm- allowing her to almost use him as a shield as they laughed down the street. They did everything from taking pictures together by the fountain at Churchill square, to grabbing coffee out of this old train box car that was near rogers place arena.

"So what are your plans for work? If I rememberer correctly, you wanted to be a pop-star in 6th grade." He teased, giving her a little nudge as they walked towards this old fashioned diner just on the edge of Whyte ave. It was called daddios and had the best cajun food in the city.

Rolling her eyes, Y/N opened the door to the establishment, letting Tyson go in first as they grabbed a booth in the back of the restaurant- it was pretty quiet since the evening had been dragging on. It was almost eleven-o'clock and soon Tyson would have to say goodbye, as much as he didn't want to leave- eventually he would have to take off to his hotel and head for the airport.

"No, Im afraid my life isn't nearly as interesting as I once hoped it would be." She chuckled- sliding in across from him and brushing some of her hair out of her face. The breeze had picked up outside leaving a chill down her spine. "Im an athletic therapist now... I help athletes recover and prevent injuries." She grinned, somewhat proud of herself.

Tyson smiled brightly at the revelation, he could definitely see that in her. She was a kind woman and really had a genuine helpful nature about her- even though they had only been hanging out for a few hours, a certain fondness grew in his heart for her. Starting at her from across the table, Tyson took in every detail of the woman's face, from her soft makeup and delicate eyes- to the way the neon sign of the restaurant was reflecting off the window and against her skin, she was illuminated by colours of pink, purple and blue and he just thought she looked stunning.

It didn't take long for them to order, and even less time for them to get their meals- they shared fried chicken and French fries along with a single milkshake that had two straws in it. Tyson was laughing at something Y/N had said as the girl picked up the cherry and placed it between her lips, tearing the stem off almost seductively- by no means was it her intention, but Tyson was definitely finding her attractive and the small action almost acted as a tease.

Checking his watch, he sighed bitterly. "I have to head back to my hotel now... Mind coming with me? I don't want to cut this night short, and I promise to pay your taxi back home- no funny business." He reassured her. Although Y/N wouldn't have minded if some 'funny business' as Tyson said, occurred.

Nodding softly, the two of them split the check and headed out of the restaurant- finding themselves out at the street corner- a low rumble of thunder echoed overhead and the two quickly started walking down the street, doing their best to make it back to the hotel before the showers opened up on them.

Needless to say, they didn't make it.

The sky poured down above them, drenching the two of them in rain, being the gentlemen he is, Tyson quickly shrugged off his coat, holding it overtop himself and Y/N- maybe a little more over her than him. They were too late however, the both of them soaked from head to toe- moving closer, they tried to stick together to make it easier but only found themselves pressing chest to chest- Suddenly pausing in the middle of the street, Y/N took a deep breath and looked up at Tyson.

His chocolate brown hair and mess of curled were pressed to his forehead and he looked down at her sweetly, lowering his arms, the man ignored the fact that they were both just allowing themselves to be soaked by the thundershowers. Biting his lip, he glanced at the girl's mouth before taking a deep breath and leaning down.

Capturing her into a soft kiss, Tyson pressed one hand to the side of Y/N's cheek while the other grasped at her hip. She fisted his shirt and stood on her tip toes, free hand tangling into his hair at the base of his neck. The kiss was passionate and firm- the two of them connecting in a way that they certainly didn't expect to.

One night together had been enough to make the two of them absolutely fall in love, and that was dangerous.

Finally pulling apart for air, Tyson smiled brightly- his face red and matching Y/N's whether it was from the heat of their kiss or the cold water. They said nothing as they linked hands and quickly ran back towards the hotel.

After a brief moment in Tyson's hotel room, the two dried off with some towels and he gave her some fresh clothes- he was such a sweetheart and Y/N found herself aching that the night was now over. They walked down to the hotel lobby and as promised, Tyson had paid for her uber. She got in the car and said her goodbyes- thanking him for a wonderful night and wished him good luck at his next game.

It wasn't until Tyson was at the airport that he realized he never got the girl's number. He wasn't in touch with anyone from their elementary so it wasn't as if he could ask.

The night seemed to fade away and through the next few days, Y/N wasn't sure whether or not it was actually a dream. She had started watching hockey more often and more specifically the Avs. Something about her was screaming that this was all a lie and never actually happened.

But as she sat on her couch watching highlights from the oilers vs Avs game, her phone dinged with a new instagram notification.

josty17: do you know how stupid I feel for not getting your number?

The girl collapsed back into the couch in a fit of giggles as if she was a school girl. Biting her lip, she stared at the ceiling before letting out a content breath. She couldn't wait to see what the future held for her and Tyson.