in laws | n. mackinnon

Zacznij od początku

The woman took in a deep breath and groaned. "Im trying! I want this to be perfect!" She spoke worriedly. Nathan realized that this was actually really important to her. He was honoured for her to feel such a way about meeting his family. To him, it meant that this was the real deal.

Setting his carry-on bag against the wooden floor, he walked towards her and cupped her cheeks with his hands. His lips met hers in a soft kiss and he rested his forehead against her own. "Its gonna be fine... They will love you, because I love you." He reassured her. "And if they don't, it doesn't matter- because Your my girlfriend... not theirs. I love you and you aren't going anywhere, so they will learn to deal with it."

His words only did so much to calm her, she was relieved to hear that he wasn't going to end things just because they didn't like her. But she was still really hoping that they would.

The taxi ride to the airport was slightly longer than anticipated, traffic piling up on the freeway. But still, they managed to make it on time for check in and security. Within a half an hour, they were at their gate waiting to get on the next plane to Halifax.

The taste of lukewarm coffee spread across Y/N's lips, the styrofoam cup warming her hands as she looked around the airport. The nerves had somewhat settled now inside and she was calm. Nathan had been rambling about all the things he wanted to show her in Nova Scotia, even though Y/N had bene born there- she didn't grow up there by any means.

At the young age of three, her father got a job in Denver and their family packed up and shipped off. She had gone back to visit a few times here and there as she grew up, but it was always spent with family whom lived in the countryside. She never really got the city experience. In all honesty, she wasn't regretting it that much, But Nathan had convinced her that the province had really grown up and developed into an amazing piece of the country.

"And then we have to go to the harbour, we can go on the Timothy tug boat- are you even listening?" Nathan pouted, noticing his girlfriend looking around instead of taking such an interest in his hometown. He knew that she was excited, but he was also worried that she was thinking of backing out on the trip.

Nodding eagerly, Y/N took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Yes- Just looking around and thinking at the same time." She promised him. It didn't take much for Nathan to be supporting a smile against his features again, delving back into his itinerary plans for their trip before they were called to start boarding.

They had gone into first class which wasn't't necessary, but more of a habit at this point. Nathan was travelling all the time so when he booked the tickets, he just assumed they would be flying first class. Not that Y/N had an issue with it. She gave him more than enough money to cover her half of the tickets.

That was how things worked in their relationship. Even though Nathan had money, Y/N wanted to split everything- she wasn't dating him for the fact that he had a good income, or that he played on a professional hockey team. She was dating him because he was adorable and dorky, the kindest giant she had ever known and she was in love with him.

It was simple.

After a decently long flight, Y/N was being awoken by Nathan, his hand against her shoulder shaking her softly as he whispered in her ear that they had landed. Suddenly she looked around and took a deep breath- the plane had already stopped and people were beginning to stand up and get their things.

Rubbing her eyes tiredly, she looked around. The small screen on her seat indicated that it was nine-am Nova Scotia time, and suddenly Y/N felt like she was being hit by a truck. The time difference was evident, it was only six-am in Colorado and she was never awake this early. Starting to get her things, she fell into an easy conversation with Nathan who was beyond excited.

They had both slept through the entire flight so they could actually visit his family throughout the day, but the girl was already aware that she would be going to bed early that night.

As they weaved through the sea of people and made it past customs, Nathan spotted his parents waiting at the luggage carousel. They had a tiny white sign with their names written on it. Nathan + Y/N. There was a tiny heart written beside the girl's name and it made her stomach twist.

Smiling as they walked towards his parents, Nathan greeted them with big hugs and directed their attention towards his girlfriend who had been waiting patiently. Laughing softly, Nathan's mom could see how nervous the girl was. Bringing her into a tight hug, Y/N was certainly caught off guard, but she slowly melted into the older woman's embrace and hugged her back- doing the same with Nathan's father shortly after.

The drive to Nathan's parent's house was quite long. What was supposed to be a 25 minute drive became an hour and a half after they grabbed lunch and got caught in traffic on the Nova Scotia highway. But nonetheless, once they arrived- Y/N already started to feel at home.

Everyone was so kind and they treated her like family as soon as they met her. Nathan's stories were true, down to every last detail. He had an amazing family and Y/N was honoured she got to be apart of it.

Walking into Nathan's childhood bedroom, Y/N chuckled softly- there were hockey posters all over the walls and his old hockey gear was piled in the closet. In all honesty, if he hadn't hired an interior decorator at his new place in Colorado- she could see his bedroom looking like this way until he was an old man.

She felt his arms wrap around her waist and hummed softly. "See? They aren't too scary.." He chuckled against her cheek- his scruff brushing against her jaw. Looking around the room, Y/N was immediately hit with happiness, she couldn't wait for them to start their own family and see their son's bedroom like this.

This was home.