𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓮𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓷

3rd person POV

3rd person POV

"Ma'am? Over here, please." The man at the front desk said to Monica, who was trying to get into the sword building but her card wasn't working.

"Hi, good morning. I work here, and..." Monica tried to say.

"If you did, your badge would work." He replied.

"Right. I have a meeting with..."

"You know who this is?"

"this guy.

"Captain Monica Rambeau."

"Director Tyler Hayward."

"Acting Director. You haven't aged a day." He told the woman.

"And you look old as hell." She replied.

"Come on, let's catch you up."

The man leads Monica inside the locked section of the building and walks her down the corridors.

"It's been three weeks and you're the first to report. Can't say I'm surprised, Captain."

"How are the numbers for the astronaut training program?" Monica asked him.

"Dismal. Lost half my personnel in The Blip and half of those remaining have lost their nerve. The program hasn't been the same since you've been up there, Rambeau. Shifted away from manned missions and refocused on robotics, nanotech, AI. Sentient Weapons, like it says on the door."

"It also says "Observation and Response" on that door, not "Creation."" The woman replied.

"World's not the same as you left it. Space is now full of unexpected threats."

"Always was full of threats. And allies."

"Listen, Monica, I just wanna acknowledge the awkwardness of the situation. I know S.W.O.R.D.'s your home. Your mom built this place from the ground up. You grew up here. You should've been here to help name the replacement." The man said as they reached his office.

"You were the obvious choice."

"I was the only choice." The man stated.

"I wasn't gonna say it. Look, Tyler, you know the job you have to do. I'm here to do mine."

"Let's get you back out there." He said as they entered his office.

"The FBI is in a tizzy over a missing persons case up in Jersey..."

"Missing persons?"

"I know. But they have requested use of one of our imaging drones, and I need a chaperone."

"Tyler, drones usually chaperone me."

"I get it.

"Look, if this is because of...You don't have to worry about me. I'm good."