Everything has changed | 4

As we pull up to my house Allie and I run out of the car and up the stairs to my room. We instantly crash on my bed with our shopping bags in hand.

"So that boy at the mall was pretty cute, right?" Allie says.

"Ya, he was, but you know we'll never see him, so who cares," I say.

As I lay there in silence with only my thoughts of the boy from the mall, Allie let out a sad sigh and began to talk. "Look, Y/n, I gotta' tell you something, I'm moving at the end of the summer."

I sit there trying to comprehend what Allie just said as I blurt out something I probably shouldn't have. "How could you be so selfish! We were supposed to go to high school together! I need you! We have been best friends since we were 4. You were the only one there for me when my dad died. What am I supposed to do without you?"

Tears begin to stream down my face as I try to calm down. I feel my heart sink to my stomach.

"Y/n," Allie says, trying to comfort me. "I don't have a choice, my dad got a really good job offer, and I have to go with them." She says with tears forming in her eyes.

"There has to be a way that you could stay," I say with a hiccup.

"There's nothing we can do, I'm leaving. We can always see each other on the holidays and summer break. I'm only a day away." Allie says, trying to lighten the mood, failing but trying.

"A DAY AWAY?" I say in shock. I knew she'd be far, but 24 hours away is a lot.

"I know it's far, but it'll be ok," she says, almost reading my mind.

"No, I won't allow it! I will find a way for you to stay!" I say with certainty.

"You can try, but it won't work," Allie says with compassion.