Saying goodbye | 26

I wake up to the sound of my phone going off, I turn the alarm off and roll over to see Newt still sound asleep. He looks so adorable with his messed-up hair and the small smile plastered on his face that gives him the cutest little dimples. I brush my hand over his face, and his eyes flutter open.

"Hey, beautiful," he says with an even wider smile on his face.

"How was your sleep?" I ask.

"It was good, did you know you talk in your sleep?"

"I do not." I protest.

"You do. You were mumbling the whole night about some concert with Allie or something," he says laughing.

"I had a dream that Allie and I went to the Harry Styles concert we are going to in October. I mean, we were going to in October." I say with a sad smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry, love."' he says, giving me a long squeeze

"It's ok, I'll just have to find someone else to go with," I say with a shrug.

I get up out of bed and stretch. I walk over to my closet and pick out a green tie-dye top with black mom jeans. I walk out of the room and go to the bathroom to get changed. I get changed and look in the mirror and decide that I look good. I brush my teeth and put my hair into a high ponytail. I walk out of the bathroom and go back into my room. I flop on the bed beside Newt with a pit in my stomach.

"What's wrong?" Newt asks.

"I just feel bad for missing Allie and not going to say goodbye. We've been friends for 10 years. It just feels wrong." I say

"Well, it's not too late to go to the airport. The cab ride is only like 15 minutes, and Allies Plain leaves at 1:30," Newt says.

I look at my phone and check the time, it's 1 o'clock right now. If we want to go, we would need to leave now.

"You know what, you're right. Can you call the cab I'm going to go tell my mom." I say as I go downstairs.

Newt follows behind me and starts to call the cab. I walk into the kitchen and tell my mom we are leaving. Newt hangs up and tells me the cab will be here in 5 minutes. I walk to the front door and put my shoes on. Newt and I step out the front door and wait for the cab. We wait in the warm summer air for a little until the cab arrives. We get in and tell the driver to take us to the airport. We arrive at the airport at 1:20, and we run inside. Newt and I look around, rushing to find the boys and/or Allie. As I'm looking around, I hear a familiar voice call my name. I turn around and see Minho calling Newt and me, waving us down. We run down the crowded airport hallway, pushing people out of the way. As we come closer, I start to slow down and begin to shake from nervousness. Newt notices and gives me his hand to hold. We meet the group, and Newt says hi to everyone. I look at the ground, too scared to look up, when I feel Newt squeeze my hand. I look up to Newt, and he gives me a reassuring smile. I look at all my friends and Allie and say, "Hey.".

"Hey, Y/n, I'm glad you came," Allie says with a smile.

"Yeah, I wasn't sure that I was going to come, but it didn't feel right, so here I am," I say awkwardly.

"Well, I'm happy you did, I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye to my best friend," Allie says.

"Well, let's not rush anything. Let's just say, acquaintances." I say, not trying to start a scene.

"Oh, ok," Allie says, looking down.

"Can we talk alone?" Allie asks me.

"Sure," I say as we walk just a little bit away from the group.

"I wanted to tell you I'm sorry and that I just want to go back to the way things were. I hate when you're mad at me, and I don't want it to be awkward when  I come down to visit the group." She says while crying.

"It won't be awkward because I'll just pretend like I'm not mad, just like how you pretended not to like my boyfriend," I say with a little bit of anger toward her.

"You and Newt are dating?" She asks.

"Ya, we are. Now let's go back to the group and pretend like nothing is wrong so we don't worry them." I say, trying to stop this conversation. 

We walk back to the group, and I stand as far from Allie as possible.

"Well, how much longer until your plane leaves?" Minho asks, trying to break the tension in the air.

"5 minutes, so we should probably hurry this up," she says, whipping a tear from her eye.

"Oh, come here," Alby says, engulfing her in a hug.

"Let's get in on this," Gally says as everyone piles in.

I stand back and watch before I'm pulled into the group hug by Thomas. At first, I was just standing there as Newt and Thomas put their arms around me, but I soon embraced the hug. I start to cry, a little from the pain Allie caused and a little from the sadness of her leaving. We all pull away, and I can tell all of the boys were crying too. We all look at each other and laugh a little. Allie says her final goodbyes and waves to us as she walks to the gates. We all wave back and start to cry a little more as she leaves. I know we haven't been friends for long. But the two months we've all spent together have made us all like family, and with Allie leaving, it's like seeing a sister move away. When we can no longer see Allie, we all start to talk.

"Do you guys want to go out to eat?" Chuck says he's always hungry.

"Sure, Chuckie," I say, patting his head, making his hair a brown curly mess.

"Where we goin'?" Minho asks.

"McDonald's?" Ben suggests.

"Ok, let's go then," Thomas says.