Cake | 25

We walk down the stairs and go to the kitchen. I open my cabinet and look for the cake mix. I see crackers, tomato sauces, chips and some other snacks. I move the boxes of the snakes and the bags of chips and find two boxes of red velvet cake mix and two tubs of vanilla frosting.

I pull out the two boxes and show Newt with an excited look on my face "Look what I found.".

"Ok, what do we need to make the cake?"

"Eggs, milk and vegetable oil," I say as I open the fridge to get the eggs and milk.

"The oil is in the cabinet," I say as I pull two eggs out of the carton.

Newt grabs the oil and a big bowl to put the mix in. It only takes around 15 minutes to make the batter but now we have to wait for it to cook. I look at Newt as I wash all the dishes and I take the bowl with some of the batter still in it, I swipe my finger across the rim to collect some batter. Then I walked up to Newt when he wasn't looking and I wiped the batter on his nose. Newt quickly turns around to face me and I sweetly smile. Newt throws a cheeky smile back and picks me up. Newt spins me around a few times and then places me on the counter with him standing in between my legs. I look up at him as he leans down so that we are face-to-face. I move my head, and Newt follows my movement.

Our lips connect, and I feel butterflies in my stomach as he moves his hands to my waist. I slowly place my hands in his messy blonde hair and deepen the kiss. His tongue makes its way to my mouth and fights for dominance with mine. Newt squeezes my waist a little, and I gasp, and his tongue takes over. Newt starts to move his hands lower and I wrap my hands around his neck. As the kiss gets even more passionate, we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. Newt quickly moves away, and I jump off the counter. I go to the oven and check on the cake. As I put the toothpick in the cakes, my mom comes into the kitchen.

"What do we have going on down here?" my mom asks.

"I wanted to make a cake," I say, giving her a smile.

"Sorry if we were too loud," Newt says as he puts his hand on the small of my back.

"Oh, don't worry. I just came down here for some water. Oh, and Newt, you got a little something right there." she says as she moves her finger over her nose.

"Oh, thank you," he says as we both laugh.

"Let me get it," I say, rubbing the batter off.

My mom grabs a cup and fills it with water. She waves goodbye and makes her way back upstairs. I open the oven again and pull the cakes out. I take the cakes out of the pans and lay them on the counter to cool. We have to wait 30 minutes before we can frost the cakes. Newt and I walk over to the living room and turn on the t.v. We sit there watching whatever is on at 1 am. I pull the blanket that is lying on top of the sofa and lay it on me. Newt looks at me and smiles.

"If you were cold, love, you could've just told me," he says, pulling me closer to him.

I look at him and hide my face in his neck, trying to hide my beat red face from him. As I do, so he wraps his arm around me, and we continue to watch the t.v. Soon the timer on my phone goes off. I get up and walk over to the kitchen. As soon as I get to the doorway, I feel the cold tile floor hit my feet. I walk to the counter and feel if the cakes are still warm. I get a plate to put the cake on and grab the frosting out of the cabinet and call over Newt. He makes his way into the kitchen fairly quickly and instantly walks over to me. We start to frost the cake, making a mess while doing so. As we finish frosting the cake, I get two small plates and a knife. I cut two slices of the cake and put them on the plates. Newt takes the rest of the cake and puts it in the fridge. We take our slices of cake and go back upstairs to my room. Newt and I lay on the bed, eating cake and watching t.v. We finished eating, and I put the plates on my side table. I turn over to my side, and I feel Newt wrap his arms around me. I am quickly consumed by the sleep I didn't know I wanted.