First date? | 22

The walk home was short and quiet. I couldn't bare to look at him as I had mascara dripping down my red, swollen face. As soon as I could see my stone house I sprinted as fast as I ever could, Newt following closely behind me. I flung open the door and bolted to my room, just wanting to be in my comforting bed. Once we reached my room, I ran straight for the bed, Plopping down onto my bed while Newt joined me shortly. I move onto his chest and start to cry again.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened with Allie?" Newt says in a hushed tone.

"She told me that she has feelings for you and that ever since she saw you, she thought you were cute," I say, muffled into his chest, trying to contain my weeps.

"Don't be stupid? Y/n, don't you see I only like you? You are the only one I want to be with. I don't want Allie to be my girlfriend, and I never will."

I get off his chest and look him in the eyes, tears still streaming down my face. "You like me?"

"Of course I do. Ever since I've seen you, I thought you were the most beautiful girl in the world."

The moment I heard those words, I burst into even more tears. I wipe my tear-stained cheeks and look over at Newt. I push his shoulder and move to lie back down with him. We lay there for a while before I heard my stomach rumble.

"Do you want to get something to eat? I haven't been able to eat a decent meal in a while." I ask.

"Sure. Where do you want to go?"

"Can we go to Montana's?"

"Wherever you want," Newt says, giving a warm smile, sending butterflies to my stomach.

"Ok, just let me get changed."

As I walk to my closet, Newt heads for the door. "I'll meet you downstairs"

I pick out a beige oversized knitted sweater, tight-fitting white ripped jeans and a black belt with a shiny gold Gucci symbol at the front. I look in the mirror and check myself out, deciding that my outfit looked extremely flattering. I walk downstairs to the kitchen and see Newt talking to my mom.

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask.

"Just about Newt's family." my mom says.

"Oh ok, you ready to go?" I ask Newt.

"Yeah, let's go. Goodbye, Mrs. Y/l/n." Newt says, walking to me and starting to put his shoes on.

I put on my sparkled peach open-toed heels while Newt stares at me in awe. "You look so gorgeous."

I start to get flustered and turn a bright red. "Oh, shut up." I chuckle. "Stop being so sweet and get out the door."

Newt calls a cab, we stand outside for about 10 minutes until we see the cab arrive. By the time we get to the front doors, it's 6 PM. We thank the cab driver and make sure to tip, finally, we walk inside and get seated. The conversation was slow but quickly picked up until we were interrupted by the waiter who handed us the menus.

"What would you two like to start with today?" The waitress asked with a generous smile.

"Could I get a glass of water?" I ask.

"And can I get a Pepsi?" Newt says.

"Of course, I'll be right out with your drinks." She says as she scurries away.

"So, are we getting appetizers?" I ask.

"It's up to you, whatever you want," Newt says while he grabs my hand and gives it a small squeeze.

Before we knew it, the waitress came back with our drinks and hands us the ice-cold drinks that left a small water print as it settled into the warm restaurant air. "Here are your drinks." She smiles. "Have you two thought about appetizers?"

"Can we get oven-baked antojitos?" I say with a warm smile.

"Of course. I'll be back out soon with your appetizers." As soon as she walks away, I rub my stomach as it aggressively rumbles due to the lack of food.

I glaze over the menu and my eyes fall onto the smokehouse wrap. It had tender chicken, crispy bacon, rice, tomatoes, green onions and cheddar cheese. My eyes sparkled at the thought of how delicious it tasted. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Newt.

"I think I'm going to get the pork back ribs. What 'bout you?" Newt chuckled quietly as he realized he caught me off guard.

"I'm going to get the smokehouse wrap," I replied, returning a soft smile.

The waitress comes back with our appetizer, which I presume just came out of the oven because of the steam coming off of them.

"Do you guys know what you want to order? Or do you want more time?" the waitress asks.

"I will have the pork back ribs with a side of fries," Newt says.

"And I will have the smokehouse wrap with a side of fries," I say to the waitress.

"Ok, perfect, that will be right out," she says with a smile.

Newt and I start to pick the conversation back up as we wait for our meals. The conversation jumped all over the place as to what we would do when we were older to what our favourite food is. We both enjoyed the company of each other while we ate. Every so often, I would sneak glances at Newt to admire his features. The way his fluffy dirty blonde hair parted in such an elegant way, his prominent features and the way his smile could brighten the whole room. Eventually, we finished our meal, and the waiter came back to our table for a final time with our checks. I pulled out my wallet and picked out the change making sure that it was enough money for a tip too, yet just as I was about the place the money on the table, Newt grabbed my hand. I give him a confused expression; Seeing as I was supposed to pay, there should be no reason to stop me. Newt looks at me and smiles. "A girl should never have to pay on the first date."