Breakfast | 48

He walks down the stairs and into the kitchen; as we pass the living room, I see Thomas and Brenda on the couch, cuddled up together, sleeping. Newt places me in a seat at the kitchen counter. I watch as he walks into Thomas's pantry and comes back with pancake batter. Newt then goes on a search for the pans. Once he finds one, he places it on the stove. Newt grabs a bowl from the cabinets above the sink and starts to mix the pancake batter. It only takes around 25 minutes for him to make enough pancakes for all four of us. Once he's finished, he turns off the stove and sets out four plates at the dining table. Newt then runs off to the living room,  and I follow. As I walk into the living room, Newt smacks Thomas in the face with a pillow from the couch. Thomas jolts awake with a questioning look on his face. 

"I made pancakes. Get up." Newt says, walking to the dining table. Thomas sits there for a moment and absorbs what just happened and wakes Brenda up. We all sit down at the table and start to eat.

 "So is this a normal thing, like Newt just cooks in your house whenever he wants?" Brenda says. 

"Yeah, Newt and I have been friends for a really long time, this is basically his second home," Thomas says, shovelling pancakes into his mouth.

 "So Tommy, you gonna tell us what's going on between you and Brenda?" I say, raising one of my eyebrows.

 "What? There is nothing going on." Thomas says defensively. 

"Really, because that's not what it looked like on the couch," Newt says. 

"Not you, too, man. You are supposed to be on my side," Thomas says. 

"Yeah, there's nothing going on, guys," Brenda adds. "Okay, if you say so," I say. We continue to chat while we eat.

Thomas's family is out of town until the 3rd for Chuck's baseball tournament, so Thomas has the house to himself for a few more days. We all decided it would be fun if we had the rest of the 'Gladers' come over for a group sleepover. Sadly, that means that Allie will have to come as well, but it will be nice to see everyone. It's been a while since we've all hung out outside of school. Brenda and I grab all of the dishes and start to wash them while Thomas and Newt pick up all of the trash from last night because everyone will be here around noon. Once everything is cleaned up, I call my mom to tell her what's going on so she knows where I am. I also asked her if she could bring me some more clothes and pyjamas as well as snacks for the sleepover. As I end the call, I make my way over to Newt and Thomas. 

"Hey guys, what are you up to?" I ask.

 "We are just putting the empty bottles away. There is surprisingly a lot left after last night." Thomas says.

 "Great! We can have some fun tonight!" I say. 

"I like the way you think, Y/n," Thomas says.

 "I don't know, you got pretty messed up last night. Maybe we shouldn't." Newt says, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. 

"I'll be fine, don't worry," I say.

A few hours pass, and I get a text from my mom saying she's here with my things. I walk out the front door, and she is standing outside her car with two bags, one full of snacks and the other with my clothes. I take them from her and give her a hug.

 "How was last night?" she asks.

 "It was good, I had a lot of fun," I say, giving her a sweet smile.

 "Good, just be careful, okay? I just don't want to see you go back to your old way," she says with a tinge of guilt in her eyes.

 "Mom, one night isn't going to hurt. That was the old me. You have nothing to worry about." I say. I give her one last hug and go back inside.