Brenda | 32

We walk into art class and sit close to the back. Mrs. Jones starts to explain everything that we are going to learn this year. I pull my sketchbook out of my bag, along with my coloured pencils. I mindlessly draw the first thing that comes to my mind as she continues to talk, I finally look away from the sketchbook when Newt taps me on the shoulder.

"Looks like you miss someone." he points to my drawing, and I realize it looks almost identical to Allie's.

"No, I don't need that shank in my life. I'm fine without her." I say with a sigh.

"You know it's ok to forgive her; you don't have to be mad at her forever," he says, putting his hand on mine.

"Yeah, I know, I'll probably talk it out with her when she visits us," I say, looking back down at the drawing.

We go back to paying attention to Mrs. Jones about oil paints, or at least I think that's what we are talking about. I try to stay focused, but I can't stop thinking about Allie, about the twelve years of friendship that was just thrown away. As I reminisce on all of the memories, I feel a tear roll down my cheek; before the tears have a chance to rush down my red, burning cheeks, I ask Mrs. Jones if I can go to the bathroom. She nods her head and gives me a sad smile, clearly seeing the tear stains on my cheeks. I run out of the classroom and quickly make my way to the bathroom. As I walk into the bathroom, I see all of the stalls are painted with cliché quotes like 'be the change you want to see in the world' and 'do the right thing even when no one's watching'. I scoff at the sayings and run into the last stall. As I sit there, tears taking over my face, I hear someone walk in. I try to stop my weeps before the person notices. Unfortunately, she heard me anyway.

"Hey, are you ok? " the anonymous girl says, knocking on my stall.

I get up and unlock the door. "Yeah, just a rough first day, ya' know," I say, wiping the tears from my face and walking out of the stall. I look at the mysterious girl, she is a little shorter than me. She has short black hair that is cut into a bob and has tan skin.

"Do you want to talk about it? I'm a pretty great listener," she says with a comforting smile.

"It's just that I have been waiting for this day for months. I was supposed to be here with my best friend of twelve years, but she moved a few days ago, and to make it even worse, she left while we were in a fight. Now all I can think about is her and all of the fun things we did, and I don't know if I want to make up with her or just move on. Wow, did I just really say that out loud to a complete stranger." I say, crying even more.

"It's ok, sometimes it's better to talk it out with someone. I think if you are even considering patching things up with her that it's worth a try. If she cares about your friendship as much as you do, then it'll all work out. Oh, and my name is Brenda." she says, extending her hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Y/n, and you know what you're right. I'm going to talk to her tonight. Thank you." I say, shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Y/n, I hope everything works out with your friend," she says, walking into the third stall.

I walk up to the sink and splash some water on my face. I look in the mirror, and I can still kind of see the tear stains on my cheeks, but I walk out of the bathroom and walk back to art class. I sit back in my seat and feel Newt's gaze on me. I turn my head towards him, and his eyes soften as he notices that I have been crying. He puts his hand in mine and pulls it under the table.

Art, Math and English go painfully slow, and I'm waiting for the bell to ring to go to lunch. There are only fifteen minutes left, and I'm shaking in my seat with the feeling of hunger in my stomach. The bell rings, and the whole class rushes out of the room. I try to get to the cafeteria as fast as possible to get a table for the boys and me. I open the door and look around the cafeteria, full of the chatter and laughter of students, for an empty table. I find an empty table and wait for the rest of the group to join me. Slowly the boys file in through the door and sit down at the table with me. As we all start to talk I see the girl from the bathroom looking for somewhere to sit. I stand up and wave her down to join us. As she sees me, she lights up with a smile and walks over to our table.

"Guys, this is Brenda," I say, sitting down next to her.

"Hi, I'm Minho; this is Thomas, Newt, Gally, Ben, and Alby," he says, pointing at each of the boys as he names them off.

"Hi, nice to meet you," she says, biting into her food.

We all sit and talk, getting to know Brenda a little better. She told us that she is in her first year as well and that she was adopted by her dad Jorge. The bell rings, and we all say goodbye. The rest of the day went by fast. As the bell rang, signifying the end of the day, I walked to my locker, packed all of my things and got ready to go home. I walk out to the front of the school and wait for the bus. As the bus arrives, Minho and I walk on and sit at the back. We don't talk much but sit in peaceful silence. The bus pulls up to Minho, and I stop. The bus driver lets us off. We say our goodbyes and part ways. I walk down the street, pulling out my earbuds and turning on my music.