Meeting the parents | 28

We walk into his house and we walk up the black cold stone staircase. Newt and I walk into the kitchen hand-in-hand. As we walk in, I see Mrs. Sangster cooking what I think is dinner. I give her a sweet smile as we walk by. Newt leads me to the marble top island as he walks into the pantry.

"What do you want to drink?" I hear Newt yell from the pantry.

"Just water, please," I say, walking up to the pantry door.

"Ok, one water coming up.".

Newt comes walking out of the pantry with a bottle of water and a can of iced tea. He comes to the island and sits down beside me. We sat there talking until Newt's mom came and joined us.

"So what have you kids been up to?" she asks.

"We just went out with some friends and said goodbye to Allie." Newt answers.

"How was last night?" Mrs. Sangster asks, making a weird face to Newt and I.

"MOM!" Newt says, spitting out his drink.

"I just want to know what you guys were up to."

"We made cake and watched movies," I say, taking a sip of my water.

"That sounds nice," she says with a soft smile.

"It was," Newt says, holding my hand under the table.

I look at Newt and smile. We continue to talk about anything and everything, laughing and having a great time. Lizzy wakes up around 3:45. She looks just like Newt, with the way her hair is all messed up and her eyes still holding a hint of sleep. She stomps into the kitchen, not realizing Newt and I are here. As her little feet patter along the floor, she looks up and sees Newt and I.

"Y/N!!!" she screams, running towards me.

I bend down to give her a hug, and I can feel the smile on my face grow as she squeezes me.

"Wow, I'm gone for a day, and you already forget about me," Newt says, getting off of his chair and bending down to Lizzy's eye level.

"Newt!" she says, jumping into his arms. Newt picks her up and spins her around. Lizzy's giggles fill the house, and we all start to laugh. Newt places Lizzy in her chair and sits down beside her.

We all sit down again as Newt's mom continues to make dinner. Lizzy is talking about her play date with her friend Harriet. Newt is intently listening, shaking his head and gasping every once in a while at the dramatic storytelling she's doing.

Dinner is done around five o'clock, and we are just waiting for Newt's dad to get home from work. Newt and I are sitting on the couch while Lizzy is playing with her dolls on the floor. Newt's dad comes home and walks up the staircase.

"What are you two up to?" he says as he comes into the living room.

"We are just watching a movie. Mom's in the kitchen," Newt says, getting up and pulling me with him.

We all walk to the kitchen and see Newt's mom putting the food on the table.

"Here, let me help," I say, taking a plate and putting it on the table.

"Well, thank you, at least someone around here is willing to help." Mrs. Sangster says as she passes looks to Newt and his father.

"We help," Newt says, still standing at the doorway. Not helping.

"Really, then, why are you still standing there?" I ask, putting the last plate on the table.

"I was just admiring your love," he says, stepping away from the door frame and walking over to me.

"Newt, can you get Lizzy? Dinners ready." Mr. Sangster asks.

Newt gets Lizzy, and we all sit down to eat.