Sophia | 30

I step into my mom's red SUV, and she starts to pull out of the driveway. We start to drive home in silence, and I can tell my mom senses the awkwardness.

"So what happened? How was dinner?" my mom asks.

"It was great," I say, trying to hide the fact that I've already been told about his exes three days into the relationship.

"That's good," she says blandly.

We drive in silence for the rest of the car ride. As my mom pulls up to our house, I bolt inside and go to my room. I lay on my bed and go on my phone. I scroll through Instagram and TikTok for a while before I decide that I should probably get my things ready for school. I get up from my bed and start to pack my school bag. I manage to fit all of my supplies into the bag with ease. After I finish packing my school bag, I change into my pyjamas and plug my phone in. I lay my phone on my nightstand and got into bed. I start to fall into a pleasant slumber.

*TIME SKIP*

It's Sunday, and I have everything for my first day at school ready except my outfit. I text my friend Sophia from my old school and see if she wants to go shopping with me.

*ON THE PHONE*

Y/n: Hey, we haven't hung out in a while, and I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping with me?

Sophia: Omg, yes, I haven't seen you in a hot minute. We need to catch up.

Y/n: Do you want me to pick you up?

Sophia: Sure! I'll be ready soon.

Y/n: Ok, perfect, see you soon.

*IN PERSON*

I walk downstairs and ask my mom to take Sophia and me to the mall. She says yes, and we get in the car. We start to drive to Sophia's house in the same awkward silence as a few nights ago. We arrive shortly after at Sophia's, and she's already waiting on her deck. She begins to walk over to the car with a bright smile on her face.

"Hey!" I say with a soft smile.

"Hey! How have you been?" She says while getting into the backseat of the car.

"So good, I spent all summer with my friends and boyfriend, and it was so much fun," I say, basically jumping with joy.

"YOU GOT A BOYFRIEND?" Sophia says, almost as excited as I am.

"Oh yeah, his name's Newt. He's tall, cute, such a gentleman, and he's British." I say, looking back at her from the front seat.

"Oh my god, HE'S BRITISH!!!!" she says.

"Do you have any pictures of him?" she says, eager to see him.

"Yeah, give me one second," I say, pulling out my phone. I pull up a photo of Newt holding my cat Luna.

"OH MY GOD, HE SO CUTE," she screams

"Get it, girl," she says as she pats me on the shoulder.

We continue to drive to the mall and get there within 20 minutes. I say thank you, and we walk into the mall. I suddenly got Déjà Vu of when Allie and I came here. I shake off the feeling, and we walk to BlueNotes. We walk in and start to look around the store. I picked out a pink, white and blue striped knitted sweater with high-rise, light-washed blue jeans. I tell Sophia that I'm going to go try them on and walk to the changing room. I try on the clothes and walk out to see what Sophia thinks.

"Wow, you look good," Sophia says, looking me up and down.

"Should I get it? I want to look good for the first day of school." I say, looking in the mirror.

"Yes, oh my god, 100 times yes."

"Okay, okay. I'll be right back." I say, walking back into the changing room and changing back into my clothes.

I walk back out, and I see Sophia at the register paying for her things. I go behind her and pull my wallet out to pay. We pay for our things and leave. We spend all day hanging out and shopping.

My mom picks us up around 8 and drives Sophia home. After we drop Sophia home, my mom starts to dive back home. As we are driving home, my mom tries to start a conversation. "So, how was the mall? Did you get anything nice to wear for school?"

"Yeah, I did," I say, looking at my phone, not in the mood to talk.

"Okay."

We continue to drive in awkward silence. When we get home, I go to my room and get ready for bed. I plug my phone in and climb into bed. I fall asleep to the thought of tomorrow.