Chapter 17

It's been a few hours now since Zoe had arrived at home in her home town of Jade Vine City

"Mom, Mom, MOM hello Mom where are you?" Zoe called out to her mother as she entered her home.

Her mother never answered back.

Zoe looked around inside of her home.

She looked in the kitchen and then her mother's bedroom.

She checked the bathroom and even her bedroom thinking maybe she was dusting in her room but there were still no signs of her mother being in the home.

"Where could she be?" Zoe said out loud to herself.

Maybe she was in the backyard of the house where the pond is taking a bath or washing some clothing. She thought to herself.

Zoe went all around outside but still, her mother was not found.

Now Zoe was starting to get worried.

Esmeralda her mother was not one to go into town to go shopping for food, they had their chickens and cows with a few pigs that would supply them the eggs and meat and drinks they would need.

They also had their vegetable garden that grew corn, potatoes, zucchini, collyflower, peppers, and more.

The sun was setting, it would be dark soon.

Zoe went back into her home.

She sat down at the kitchen table that only sat 4 people.

All of a sudden the front door opened wide and in walk-in her mother Esmeralda with a basket of apples.

Zoe stood up from her chair then ran over to her mother.

"Where have you been?" Zoe cried out to her.

She wrapped her arms around her mother's body very tightly, happy that her mother was safe and alright.

Esmeralda was shocked to see Zoe at that moment. she didn't think that she would be back that day but once she relaxed she too wrapped her arms around her daughter tightly.

"Your back, when did you get here? Why didn't you send a letter to inform me that you would be coming home today? I would have had food ready for you to enjoy." Esmeralda asked with happy tears running down the cheeks of her face.

She missed her daughter so much these past weeks and even more so after meeting up with the King that day.

After a couple of minutes had passed they both let go of one another.

They looked at each other with big smiles on their faces.

Esmeralda and Zoe kinda had the same qualities in looks with their black hair but Esmeralda had grey hair as well due to age.

Zoe was shorter than her mother but it didn't make difference to her, she knew she was a adopted at the age of 8 but to her, this woman before her was her true mother.

Esmeralda had saved her as a child and she would always be grateful to the woman who raised her.

Esmeralda checked her daughter up and down to make sure that she hadn't missed any signs of her daughter being hurt from her mission that she was just on for her job.

She has always worried for Zoes safety with her line of work that she had chosen in life.

Zoe finally answers her mother's questions that she had asked her before," I haven't been home that long, but I have looked everywhere for you mother where have you been? Where did you go? It's not like you to leave just out of the blue."