25

☾

The Cullens; minus Kol, Katherine and Jasper gather in the living room all discussing a serious matter that had just occurred. Their faces are static, some cold, some furious and some holding the looks of pure worry. The three missing vampires leaving their mates sat there itching for them to come home.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Carlisle asks the frantic mind reader who's jaw was ticking with every passing second, he looks moments away from lashing out and Bella didn't know how to comfort him as she sat next to Alice.

An unknown scent had been sniffed out by Edward in Isabella's house, it lingered within her bedroom and all over Charlie meaning the intruder was as sending a message and with Victoria on the loose, Edward was panicking.

Charlie could've died, they could've killed him. But they didn't.

Why?

"A stranger. I didn't recognise his scent" Edward tells them, worry etched onto his face as he looks at his girlfriend. He feels guilty as he watches her bite at her lip worriedly, this was all his fault. Victoria wants her dead because of him.

No...because of Katherine and kol.

But she didn't know that.

"A nomad passing through?" Esme ponders as Rosalie shakes her head, there was no way a nomad would 'coincidentally' pass through the house of the only human in town who has a vampire as a boyfriend. It was definitely Victoria or someone who was working with her.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bellas father alive" she replies as the missing trio enters the room, the ex- army members having the best tracking skills out of everyone, had gone to try and pick up the scent.

Rosalie hated letting Katherine out of her sight, especially for Bellas sake but nothing would stop Katherine now. Bella was under her protection until the second she turned her, after graduation.

"The scent disappeared about five miles south of Bellas house" the twins speak in sync as they enter, their thick accents making Bella shiver as they clash together in harmony, Jasper behind them nodding in confirmation.

Rosalie and Emmet stand as their mates walk into the room. Rosalie grabbing Katherines hand and bringing her close to herself whilst Emmet did the same to Kol. They couldn't bare the thought of them leaving and never returning to them, every time they left and came back home was a blessing.

"Someone's orchestrating this" Carlisle realises as he looks at the three who walked in. Katherine is tempted to roll her eyes and mutter out a 'no shit Sherlock' but thinks against it, there was no need to be rude. Even if someone was quite slow in the head.

"Victoria?" Bella questions, Katherine hums in agreement with her sending a nod her to at, she too believed that this was Victoria's doing. Bella smiles at that, barely anyone ever agreed with her but Katherine and she loved that she did.

"I would have seen her decide" Alice looks at her with a shake of her head. She hadn't seen any decisions from Victoria lately, it was almost as if she had just stopped any and all thoughts.

"Has to be the volturi" Katherine and Kol tense
at Edwards words,  they couldn't be sure if this was the volturis doing, they were unpredictable. But it wasn't their style, if they wanted a war they'd do it themselves they wouldn't have puppets doing the dirty work for them.

"I don't think it's the volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions too" Alice once again shakes her head.

"Aro wouldn't, not with the way Katherine threatened him in volterra" Edward was ninety nine percent sure it wasn't them, not with the way Aro feared his once favourite clan member, he wouldn't dare go against her.

"So we'll keep looking" Emmets voice is hard as he speaks, his arms holding Kol close to him, he wouldn't let anything happen to his family he'd kill them before they got the chance to do something.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house" Carlisle informa making Rosalie scoff from her place next to her wife. Protecting the human rather than themselves once again .

She was getting sick of it, none of this would've happened if they didn't get involved with her in the first place.

"Another protection detail?" He words ate bitter and cold as she ignores the look Carlisle and Edward send her.

"Rosalie" Carlisle warns.

"No, she's right. You can't protect me, watch my dad and search for the intruder" Bella agrees with her, they were already doing so much for her, she felt guilty and she knew Rosalie was right.

"And for Victoria" Rosalie chips in again, her face void of emotions as she glares at the girl slightly making Katherine nudge her.

"Stop it" she shuts up at Katherine's look, she didn't get why she cared so much for her. It was beginning to royally piss her off.

"And keep yourselves fed" Bella looks up at them guiltily, with all these protection acts they had been doing for her, she knew they hadn't been hunting for a good meal, not in a good while anyways.

"I'm not leaving you here defenceless" Edward shakes his head in disagreement.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve" Bella argues back. This wasn't just about him, it was about the entire family.

"And I wouldn't be unprotected. I...I have-"

"What?" Edward raises his eyebrow in question, Katherines lips quirk lightly.

"The pack of fluff balls should come in handy" Edwards head snaps towards her then back to Bella, now catching on to what she meant.

"No"

"Edward-" Bella tries to reason only for him to shake his head. Kol lets out a groan at his childishness.

For his age he really did need to grow up.

"Would you rather your girlfriend die by a vengeful redhead and whoever this intruder is? Or would you rather her smell like dog for a couple of hours?" Bella gives the male twin a grateful look when Edward shut up, his arms crossed like a kicked puppy. He hated the idea but it wasn't about his feelings anymore, it was about everyone's safety.

Edward thinks for a second but then nods, it was time for him to put on his big boy pants and stop being jealous.

"Let's just hope Jacob doesn't get handsy pandsy having Bella all alone"

"Kol!"

☀︎︎