Part 26:

[Gemma's POV]

The next few weeks were intense, practically every day was spent training and trying to control my powers, and in my downtime I managed to finish the AI earrings I had been working on. Thankfully, we hadn't had any more earthquake incidents, just a few spontaneous rain showers. It took a while but in the end it became easier, I could do things I could have never even imagined. From fire to snow, I could do just about anything with regards to the elements, but the strangest thing I could do was with regards to the air. I could make the air feel thin, or hot, or like there was a thousand tiny knives inside your lungs. Each of which had been discovered the hard way. The latter with Peter...

We had been in the garden, it was getting cold and we were in the middle of a fight, I told him to come at me with everything he had, and he did. He webbed me down so both my hand and both my feet were stuck to the ground and he knelt beside me. 'Ready to give up?' He mocked me slightly, but I wasn't giving up. I tried to use my powers to burn my way through the webbing, but I was either concentrating too hard, or not enough, because Peter started to gasp for air, choking and his lips turning blue, 'Peter!' I managed to burn through the webs and held him in my arms, him still choking and suddenly he stopped, he took a breath and leant back to me. 'Are you okay?' I asked trying not to cry, he nodded slightly still catching his breath and I held him close, 'F.R.I.D.A.Y?' I shouted into my AI earrings, 'Get dad here now!'

After a minute, Dad, Steve and Bruce came running towards us. Peter was a bit better but still not great, drifting in and out of consciousness. Steve carried him up to the med bay and Bruce ran some tests, 'It looks like there's a small tear in his lungs and oesophagus but with his speed healing he should be fine in a couple of hours. It'll just take a while for his oxygen deficit to be made up.' Bruce tried to reassure, but it only made me feel worse.

I sat by Peter's bed holding his hand, waiting for him to regain consciousness, crying my eyes out. 'Gem?' A voice said from the doorway, I looked up, it was Wanda. I forced a smile, and wiped the tears away, which was pointless, because the ones I had gotten rid of were just replaced with fresh ones.

Wanda came and pulled up a chair next to me, 'Gem, you can't blame yourself.' She tried to instil in me,
'How can I not! Peter got hurt because I still don't know how to control my powers!' I exclaimed standing up, Wanda came over and put her hands on my shoulders.
'Gemma! It's not your fault!' Wanda shouted but I just started crying,
'What if I had killed him? Or what if I kill someone?' I breathed through the uncontrollable tears,
'Gemma, you didn't and you couldn't have! Trust me I know about losing control and hurting people...' She was talking about Lagos, I knew Wanda thought about it every day with so much pain and regret. I reached over to hold her hand.
'Wanda, I'm just scared.'
'I know honey, but you'll get there, and when you do you'll be incredible.' Wanda sat with me for a little while longer before leaving to go and help Vision with dinner.

I stayed by Peter's bed for another couple of hours waiting for him to wake up. Vision came up with food but I couldn't eat, the only thing on my mind was Peter. After about 3 hours I fell asleep leaning on the side of his bed, still hand in hand.

[Peter's POV]

I was dreaming, It was maybe 10 or so years in the future and Gemma and I were out on a mission. She was awesome, using her powers so naturally and defeated whatever the threat was we were dealing with.

Then we were on the jet on the way home sat hand in hand, when I looked down at our intertwined fingers I noticed something glinting; we were both wearing wedding rings. Suddenly her dream phone rang and the cover photo was a photo of Mr Stark, it was a video call,
'Hey how did the mission go?' he asked us both,
'Great! On our way home now, Gem killed it!' I said and Gemma laughed slightly,
'How are Emilia and Adam?' Gemma asked, who were they? Mr Stark flipped the camera round to see two children, a girl maybe around 3 and a boy probably just under a year old.
'They're good! Emilia drew you guys a picture which I may or may not have helped with...' Mr Stark showed the drawing on the screen, it was of us, me in my Spider-Man suit, Gem in her suit and Emilia and Adam, which Mr Stark had obviously labelled as above each of the people, was a label, 'Mom', 'Dad', 'Me', 'Adam'. We had a family, our own family... I began to wake up, 'no, take me back' I thought, wanting to live in my delusion a bit longer.

When I woke up, I was in the med bay, and then it all came flooding back to me, what had happened with Gemma, who was lying on the side of my bed, holding my hand. I felt a bit weak, I squeezed Gemma's hand gently and she sat up slowly, still waking up. 'Peter!' She gasped, beaming, holding my hand in both of hers and kissed it gently.

I smiled back at her as much as she could. She looked as though she had been crying for hours which broke my heart, but I knew her, and I knew she would be feeing awful about what had happened. Even if I didn't want her to. 'Hey, what's wrong?' I said gently, turning my head towards her and cupping her face in my hand,
'I could have killed you Peter.' She replied, starting to cry,
'No, you wouldn't have, you couldn't have, and you didn't. I love you Gemma, and I know you would never hurt me intentionally.' I tried, and failed, to reassure her.

'I'm so, so, unbelievably sorry, Peter.'
'I know, Stark. It's okay, really.'
She forced a smile at me, 'I'm supposed to be the one making you feel better.' She joked,
'You know what would make me feel better?', with every minute I could feel my strength coming back.
'Anything.' She replied, I moved away from her slightly, and pulled the covers down next to me,
'Give me a cuddle?' I requested, Gemma smiled and got in obligingly. I wrapped my arms around her and she nuzzled her head into me.
'I love you so much.' She whispered.
'I love you too,' I really did, 'hey, when I was asleep I had a pretty wonderful dream.' I said to her,
'Oh really? What about?' She asked looking up at me with her big, beautiful, green eyes.

I explained the dream in full to her and once I was done, Gemma looked at me a bit surprised, 'So you planned out our future?' She was trying to hide her grin, it was so cute.
'Yeah, that's what I want.' I struggled to hide my grin too,
'That's what I want too, and I love those names by the way.' She replied,
'Oh yeah? Well, we shall have to remember them then.' I kissed her tenderly,
'Although, 10 years is a bit soon.' She laughed,
'12?'
'Try 15!' She protested, which made me laugh, she was so gorgeous in her stubbornness,
'God, you're cute. I guess we shall have to see.' I settled and Gemma rolled her eyes at me.

We spent the rest of the evening playing card games until I felt completely myself again. Mr Stark insisted I stay the night in the med bay just in case, and Gemma brought in an air mattress to sleep on the floor next to me, although we didn't get much sleep, after today I was so hungry. Gemma and I spent most of the night eating and talking about pretty much everything, and despite the day, it had a pretty good ending.