Part 22:

[Gemma's POV]

A little over 3 weeks later and I still hadn't given dad an answer. I didn't know if I wanted to be an Avenger or not. I liked how life had just started going, I liked my freedom and my life, and Peter...  I didn't need it all to change.

Speaking of Peter, ever since I told dad about him, and Peter who I was, I felt so much more relaxed. I didn't have to worry about letting anything slip when I was around either of them and Peter and I only grew closer. He had come to the facility to help me with my powers a couple of times and Wanda had been helping me learn how to control them as best she could, but nobody fully understood them; except my mom of course, but she wasn't here to help.

Dad had given me the box he had gotten out the day he told me about my powers with my moms name on it. He said she had wanted me to have the stuff inside when I found out about my powers, but I couldn't bring myself to open it. Instead it just sat in my closet- unopened.

One Friday, I had just got back from school and Peter was supposed to be coming over for a movie night. I had had a pretty average day, nothing special had happened, school was so easy. I came home and dad had sent me a text asking him to meet me in the gym when I got back, so I ran upstairs to change into some more moveable clothes before going back downstairs. Dad was waiting for me, setting up some mannequins with targets in various places. 'Hey dad!' I went up to him and hugged him and he hugged back.
'How was your day?' He asked going back to his mannequins.
'Boring. Even with the AP classes I just get so bored.' I replied, 'Why did you even want me to go to school? It still seems so backwards.' I asked, trying to get dad's attention away from the dolls.
'Did you open the box yet? Because if you did you'd know.' He responded a little patronisingly. I sighed and twiddled with my fingers. I was too scared to open the box. My mom had been gone for so long I had just learnt to deal, and I knew that box was going to, well, open another box. One that I had put away a long time ago.

Dad looked up from fiddling with the mannequins, 'I'm sorry, hon,' and he sat down on the side the ring and I sat down to join him, 'your mom wanted you to be as normal as possible, and when she died and I took you out of school, I knew she wouldn't have wanted that but I didn't feel I had a choice.' He looked up at me with an apologetic expression,
'I know, it was the safest thing.' I reassured him.
'I should have put you back in school a long time ago, as soon as you started training with Nat, and then you turned 16 and I found something, that's in the box. When you open it you'll see, but I knew Peter was at school there and so not only were you being trained but Spider-Man was there to protect you.'
'Wait, dad, did you tell Peter about me before? Have you both still been lying to me?' I said getting angrier the more words came out of my mouth,
'No! No! No!' Dad said panicked and he put his hands on my shoulders, 'Of course not Gemma! Peter is a good guy I just knew he would protect you, because that's what he does. His heart is so big, I'm surprised it fits inside huis chest.' He scoffed and I grinned to myself knowing it was true, Peter really was the best. 'Besides, do you really think that I wanted you two to date?' he added, with a bit of a disgusted tone, I calmed down and let out a little scoff. 'Anyway!' Dad said moving on, 'Time to train, monkey!' And he held out both of his hands to pull me up.

We stood at dad's in front of dad's mannequins and he pushed a button and the wall. Some of the mannequins became cloaked and disappeared and some of then some of them started to move around, some faster than others. I looked to dad who had a goofy, proud look on his face, 'Go on then Gem! Fight them off.' And he gestured to my challenge. I took a stance and begun trying to ward off the dolls from every which way, using some of the moves Nat and Wanda had been helping me with. These things wouldn't seem to stop though, I tired not to panic, the more I did, the more I could feel my powers becoming a out of control. Suddenly the room started shaking, frames falling off the walls and smashing. Dad ran over to me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders tightly, 'Gemma breath!' He shouted over the trembling. Was this me? If it was I couldn't control it. I started breathing deeply and thinking calm thoughts, like the beach, and being in Peter's arms...

Gradually the room stopped shaking and dad released his tight hold. 'Dad what was that?' I asked, terrified, my voice wobbling. Dad looked down at me speechless. Steve, Thor and Clint came storming down, 'What happened? Is everyone okay?' Steve asked, running up to me, almost suffocating me in his hug.
'It's fine, it's fine...' I looked down at my hands, they felt like they were on fire, 'I think it was me.' I said my voice still wobbling.

I ran up to my bedroom, turning it upside down looking for my locket. I must have emptied every draw and overturned every piece of furniture before I found it in the pockets of one of my joggers. Must have still been there from when I met with Peter the other week. I held it in my hands, and I could feel my powers suppressing. It was a calming feeling really, like all my worries had been encapsulated. I put the necklace on and got into bed and cried into my pillow. After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door, 'Hey kiddo, are you okay?' It was Steve.
'No, Steve, in what world would I be okay? I could have brought this whole place down, with everyone inside of it!' I said, with streams of tears running down my face. Steve came to sit on my bed and put his hand on my knee, squeezing it gently.
'Gem, it's not your fault. You haven't figured out your powers yet, and neither have we. Do you have any idea how much stuff all of us have broken or destroyed?' He tried to make a joke but it didn't really help.
'Steve, I just kind of want to be alone.' I pulled the covers right up to my face and turned over to face away from him, and after a minute, he left, leaving me to my feelings.