Part 8:

[Gemma's POV]

A week went by and the first day of school came around and I had only become more excited. I woke up around 6 which was earlier than I needed to, but I couldn't help it. I jumped out of bed to have a shower and then I put on some clothes. I decided to make an effort for my first day, so I went with a black and white checked skirt with a grey knitted jumper and black knee high boots. I pulled my hair into a half up half down style and grabbed my rucksack with my text books in. In the kitchen dad and Steve were already there. 'Gem! Ready for your first day?' Steve asked, he seemed a lot more comfortable with the idea now.
'Yes! I am so ready!' I said and sat down on the island. Dad put a mug of hot chocolate down in-front of me with a 'G' made of whipped cream on top, and Steve had made me blueberry pancakes. 'Thanks guys!' I laughed and began to eat my breakfast. 'So peanut, Cap is going to go with you to drop you off with Happy, just in case. I have a meeting so I can't, otherwise I would.' Dad said sipping his coffee.
'Okay sure.' I replied, with a mouth full of pancake. Both dad no Steve looked up simultaneously,
'What no protest? No lecture about how you're independent?' Steve asked surprised.
'No, if it makes you feel better than sure.' I replied, only mocking slightly.

After breakfast Steve and I got in the car after dad had given me a hug and lectured me on the importance of keeping my identity a secret. 'Have a good day!' Dad shouted whilst waving as the car drove off and I waved out the window. 'So Gem, I know your dad has gone through all of this, but please be careful. You know I'm not the most fond of the idea but I want you to be happy.' Steve's voice is so calming, I put my head on his shoulder and he grabbed my hand.
'Hey Gemma, do you want me to park a couple of blocks away?' Happy shouted from the front of the car, 'Yeah, just round the corner is good, thank you Happy.' I replied.

We got to school and Happy came around to open the door, Steve got out of the car with me. 'Have a good day little one,' Happy said as he hugged me goodbye for the day, 'I'll see you this afternoon right here okay?' He added as he released me from the hug, and I nodded in response. I turned around and Steve was standing behind me, 'Have a good one kiddo, don't get into trouble!' He hugged me too, very tightly. I released from the hug and gave him a smile. Both of them watched me turn around the corner to where the school gates were.

I walked into the gates to find a courtyard full of students. It was a little bit daunting really. I turned around and saw Steve watching from across the street. He held a finger to his lips and smiled, I smiled back and made my way into school. As I walked through the hallway, amongst the buzz of the students I actually felt quite at home, that was until some guy bumped into me and I almost fell flat on my back but someone caught me. I looked up and it was the boy from the deli.