Part 19:

[Gemma's POV]

I went upstairs still in shock, I was walking so slow it took so much longer than usual. I found dad with Steve and Thor in the briefing room, when I walked in they all looked up like they had seen a ghost. 'Dad we need to talk.' He looked up at me and then looked down at the floor, I looked also and saw a trail of ice from where I had been walking. What the hell? Dad nodded at me and Thor and Steve left on queue. I sat down in a chair around the round table and dad sat next to me.

'Dad what is happening to me? Do I have powers? Did you know?' I asked, I felt a bit betrayed, he must have known, and somehow the necklace had something to do with it. Dad looked at me, his eyes looked sad, I could tell he felt bad and he put his hand on my shoulder. 'Gem, yes, you have powers and yes I knew.' I looked up and put eyes met. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears but I pushed them back.
'How?' I asked.
'It's a long story, but you need to know.' He disappeared into a cupboard for a minute and brought out a box with 'Rebekah' written on the front and got out his tablet. 'Your mom was not completely human. Her mom, your grandma, was from a planet that was destroyed a long time ago and they fled to earth to survive. Then when she was older, she met your grandpa and they had your mom, and she was special. She had powers.' He started, if I hadn't just hit Nat with an ice blast I would think he was reading from a storybook or a comic or something.
'She had the power to control the elements, fire, water, ice and earth. When I met her, of course, I didn't know. Then she fell pregnant with you and I knew I wanted to be apart of your lives. But when I came out as iron man, she told me who she was and that you might have powers too, but we didn't know for sure.' He continued, 'When you were 6 there was...' he was looking for the right word, 'an incident.' He took a deep breath, 'You were living in Seattle at this point and you accidentally set fire to your house.' I sat back and braced myself, I didn't remember any of this, then again, I was 6.

'You got really upset because someone was being mean to you at school and your powers surfaced. Your mom knew that your powers were tied to your emotions so she knew how to handle it, but she couldn't put out the fire in time. So you came to stay here in New York with me for a while, and your mom managed to find the stone in your locket from your grandma, then I made it into the necklace.' He got out his tablet and put the display on the hologram above the round table. There was an atom diagram of the stone, it didn't look like any element I had ever seen. There was an extra type of subatomic particle, 'What's that?' I asked, pointing out the particle I was not familiar with.

'That is apparently called a Galentron, according to your mom. No test I could do on earth could tell me exactly what it does, or is, but whatever it is, it has the ability to inhibit powers.'
'So the locket has been inhibiting my powers for 10 years?' I asked in disbelief and dad nodded. I couldn't believe it. All I wanted was my mom here to help me, but she was gone. 'Why did you never tell me?' I was hurt, but at the same time I kind of understood, it's the same reason nobody could know I was a Stark. It was just safer.
'Your mom didn't want you to know until you were old enough to control it and could make the decision.' He answered,
'The decision?' I didn't understand, dad opened the box he had got out earlier, and then got out a smaller box, it was a clear shiny cube and it looked like it was glinting. Suddenly, I felt a bit nauseous and weak, dad obviously saw and with that, he put the cube back in the box.

'What was that?' I groaned, getting my strength back.
'That is the much bigger, and more powerful version of the stone that the one from the locket is made from. It can take away your powers if you want it to. That's what your grandma did when she met your grandpa.' He put the lid back on the box, this was all too much. Finding out I had powers and could get rid of them, basically at the same time, it was like I was in a strange dream. I put my head in my hands and dad started pacing. 'Unfortunately that's not all, peanut...' I looked up at dad, my eyes glassy with tears, and he looked like he was about to start crying too. 'Your mom's accident...' he took another deep breath, 'She was sort of an Avenger, but she didn't fight with all of the rest of us, we decided that was irresponsible because you needed at least one of us. So she just protected the south west coast. Your mom was... she was the Weather Witch.' dad choked back.

The Weather Witch, I remembered her, she was a superhero everyone talked about because she disappeared... she was never seen again; but she was my mom. 'Mom didn't die in a car accident did she.' I stated, this time I didn't fight the tears, I let them pour out, streaming down my face like a leaking faucet. Dad shook his head and sat back down next to me, 'Your mom was killed. She was trapped by some people that knew she wasn't human and didn't want aliens on earth. We never found out exactly who they were.' I could hear dad's pain in his voice too but I couldn't think about it, 'But, one of the people we believed responsible worked for stark industries. Happy and I think he managed to hack my personal server and found you and your mom's address... Somehow they knew everything.' That must have been why dad felt it was his fault.

We were silent for a while until dad finally broke the tension, 'Gem, are you okay?' He sat down next to me and put his hand on my shoulder again, but I pushed him off and stood up, I wanted to scream at him, am I okay? How could he ask that? I managed to resist the urge and said, 'I get it dad, it was all for my protection.' He looked a bit relieved, but I wasn't finished, 'But you lied to me for my whole life! About mom! About me! How on earth, or any earth for that matter, would I be okay?' I shouted but was still crying and dad looked like he was about to start crying too. My phone was buzzing, crap the time, it was half 3 already which meant Peter was probably waiting for me at the park. 'I have to go.' I said and walked out, leaving my dad alone in the briefing room.