➪ daniel desario

"and then he didn't even pick up the check! i had to pay for the both of us

"and then he didn't even pick up the check! i had to pay for the both of us. gosh, it was awful. stop laughing at me daniel! it wasn't funny, it was the worst date ever!" you said, leaning forward to punch daniels shoulder for laughing at the story of your bad date you had just told, even though you yourself were having trouble not laughing at your misfortune.

"i'm sorry, y/n! but i told you that you shouldn't go out with that d-bag. i mean, what did i say? i said that it would be the worst date you'd ever go on! and what did you do? not listen to me! you ignored me and you still went on the date," daniel ranted, talking over you as you groaned and muttered complaints, angry that daniel was ultimately right.

"ugh, whatever, daniel! don't laugh at me, i had the worst night of my life and you're not being a good friend," you continued to complain after he had finished his rant.

"and who's fault is that?" he asked rhetorically.

"technically, it's kim's," you answered, smirking slightly. "she set me up with the guy."

"don't blame her for it! it's your fault. but also, don't bring kim up," he said, his smile slightly fading at the end.

"why not?" you asked warily. "did you guys break up again?"

he nodded, looking down as his smile started to fade some more and he moved the grass around with a stick he had been holding since you guys had first sat down.

"anyways," he said, not wanting the two of you to get into talking about him and kim again. "you know, if i took you out on a date, it wouldn't have gone as bad as with that whats-his-name guy. we'd have such a good time."

"yeah, but daniel, we're just friends. you and kim have a good thing. i'm alright being single. you two will get back together soon enough, you guys are great together. you and me, we'd always argue. more than you and kim do. we're better off friends right now, and we both know that. plus, i couldn't do that to kim," you explained to him.

the two of you have always had an interesting friendship. you both became friends when you were in middle school, then promised to never date in high school. if it weren't for that promise that the two of you couldn't date, you two probably would've dated by now. but daniel soon met kim, and that kept the two of you from feeling any feelings for each other more than friendship. but every time kim dumped him, he wondered if maybe you could offer him more. you always had to remind him that you could only offer something different, not necessarily better or more, but you wouldn't because you weren't meant to be. at least not right now.

"yeah, i know. anyways, i don't think you should give up on dating just because of that jerk. i mean, there's lots of great guys. like..." he trailed off and found someone a little bit past your shoulder and to the right. daniel nodded his head towards the guy and said, "like him."

you turned and saw one of the seniors that had been held back at least one year. that didn't bother you, but his long and uneven facial hair was something you complained about to daniel before. you turned back to daniel and glared at him.

"he could at least buy you beer!" he jokingly told you.

"sure,he'd have the id, but i can imagine that he would charge me for it!" you joked, still upset the guy from the other night made you pay for yourself and him.

daniel laughed and kept pointing out guys in his view, all which you came up with reasons for not going out with, like, "he probably doesn't know what taxes are" and "i think he might be from another planet, which is cool, but not what i'm looking for right now."

the two of you were happy, joking about the guys you went to school with and making up fake reasons for why each of them were undateable.

________________

happy 2022 everyone!