Page sixtyfour

It was... weird... Rex decided.

He had caused the small animal pain by accidentally touching its injury.

Yet it decided to come back to him...

Snuggled up to his side once again.

Maybe it needed comfort too.

So he petted it's back.

It rubbed his head against him, at some point licked all over his face.

He flinched back at that.

Was that normal? Was that how animals showed affection? He had no idea.

The animal seemed to notice his reaction on that and didn't do it again.

Rex decided that the animal needed a name.

He couldn't call it 'the animal' all the time, right?

No obviously he couldn't ask the little creature how it was called, since quite obviously it couldn't talk.

At least not in a way that Rex would understand.

"Ahu" he decided.

He had picked that name up on the mission they had before the one with the crashed.

It belonged to a little girl, that had looked as frail and small as this little creature.

"Hello Ahu" he said, still petting the animals back.

The animal cuddled up to him.

He smiled at that.

Suddenly though, Ahus legs gave way. At that point Rex finally realised how weakened his new friend really was.

He carefully picked it up and held it in his arms.

It wasn't too heavy.

Ahu closed the eyes and seemingly fell asleep.

Not knowing how to deal with the sleeping animal on his lap Rex just stayed put.

It needed a while.

He guessed a few hours, until Ahu woke up again.

At that point... Rex somewhat had calmed down.

Ahus pure existence seemed to help him.

Help him cope with everything.

Now seemingly having regained a bit of strength Ahu made a weak attempt to stand on her own.

Rex watched carefully, making sure she didn't fall.

Then Ahu rubbed her head against Rex hand another time, before running away.

Not far though. It laid down after a few meters, surrounded by a bit of green that had withstood the cold.

Rex smiled.

Then he went on searching food. They needed to survive after all.