1.5 Special treatment

"seems like haechan isn't going to get the special treatment tonight" Mark smirked at haechan's hungry stare devouring the menu 

"if you guys are really my friends you would pay for my dinner" haechan said glaring at Mark

"I'd rather not, your misfortunes bring me happiness" he smiled ruffling haechan's hair sarcastically 

"looks like you've chosen death" Jeno stated as his eyes landed on the intense gaze haechan held onto mark, with his tongue poking at the inside of his cheek and his jaw slightly raised

"alright midgets let's eat" Jeno said as they began to order their food. Jeno showed his ring to the lady at the counter and her eyes immediately started shaking in fear. But none the less she proceeded to prepare their preferred meals without asking them to pay. That was the advantage of the ring.

It was phsyical proof that you were part of the mafia and that you would receive special treatment, that included meals, alcohol, clothes... Literally anything. And that's why most of the people in the mafia were from a bad background. They had enough of their tough lives and instead decided to get blood on their hands just to afford a lifestyle they could only dream of.

"you guys eat, I feel like going for a beer instead" haechan said leaving the two

"haechan i'll buy your dinner if you wa-"

"no I'm genuinely not that hungry anymore" heachan turned away from them both, his hand waving as he dismissed jeno's offer

"I'll meet you guys at the dorms later" 

"Alright" Jeno said

Haechan's feet strolled around the streets as he felt boredom slowly creep into his system. Just as he was about to walk towards his motorcycle, the sound of a melodious laugh caught his attention. A laugh that was all too familiar to him.

His feet walked towards the origin of the sound, small open restaurant on the side of a dark street. The cheap hanging lightbulbs were the only thing giving light to those in the shop. The open fire blazing as noodles and rice were thrown into the sizzling oil.

He heard the laughter again. His mother's.

Haechan sighed with a small smile plastered on his face, but it soon fell when he came to realisation. There they were, his family, seated together on the cheap stools around the small tables covered with all types of street foods. Cans of empty beers and ciders on the ground beside them. Haechan moved away from open sight as his eyes continued to scan the view.

Of course his family didnt miss him, why would they? They were better off without him. He would only be putting them in danger.

He lingered in the same spot for a few minutes before something else caught his eyes.

The blue tips of her hair shined against the light as they complimented her glowy and slightly tan skin. His eyes travelled up to her face, her cheekbones raised and her eyes following the image of crescent moons and she covered her laughter with her hands.

The feeling of hurt and jealousy he felt when he saw his family quickly diminish when his eyes landed on the girl.

"Aera, I seriously have to go, my mom is going to kill me if I come home late again"  the pink haired boy said hurriedly as he rushed out of the seat. Knocking over a few empty soda cans along with his movements.

"Ah okay, get going then. I'll clean up and pay" she said with her sweet honey like voice before standing up and cleaning the  empty styrofoam plates off the table.

"Thanks, see you tomorrow!" Jaemin said as he left the girl alone in a hurry.

Haechan watched as the bubble gum colour haired boy ran out of the store with his school bag barely zipped up. His eyes averted to the girl who was left alone at the table, her slightly tan honey like skin stood out as the cheap yellow lights of the restaurant highlighted her face, a complexion that mesmerised him the more he looked at it.

He broke his gaze away from her as she walked towards the bin of the restaurant to throw away the rubbish, his eyes landing back on the family he once left, the pang in his heart hitting twice as hard as the first time. He sighed to himself as he continued to feel left out but the swaying of black hair and blue tips in his peripheral vision snapped him out of the trance.

The way she gracefully did things with care was almost like he was watching a ballet dance. The way she wore her jacket to the way she strung her bag onto one shoulder. Haechan grew to love the vision of her taking the hair tie from her wrist and tying her hair up into a loose pony tail with a few strands escaping. His eyes made sure to record it so it would replay in his mind later.

His eyes watched her as she left the restaurant without much thought and walked towards the direction she was heading to.

Haechan felt inclined to follow her as he knew how ugly some streets could get past a certain time at night. For some reason he felt compelled to keep her safe and away from danger.

 For some reason he felt compelled to keep her safe and away from danger