17

Warning: VIOLENCE

Maxine.

"So, here is your new number," the employee at AT&T said, handing me the new number. I sighed, silently thanking him. Marth hasn't really spoken much since we left the sorority house, and I want her to, but I'm still upset about everything that went down.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" I shook my head.

"No, that'll be all," I said, turning away. I took Marth's hand, guiding her out to her truck.

"Okay, okay, stop," Marth said, stopping me in my tracks. I tried to go around her, but she stopped me again.

"Dammit, Maxine, look at me," Marth slightly raised her voice at me, making me step back. She sighed, looking down.

"Sorry, I just need you to listen to me," Marth begs, sitting down on a curb.

"What do I have to do to make you see how sorry I am?" Marth asked, looking up at me. Her eyes are dull, lacking the life I've grown used to seeing over the course of several weeks. Her beautiful smile now gone and forgotten about as she frowns, her gloomy aura matching the overcast skies.

"Nothing," I say because I can't think of anything. Is there anything for her to do? No. But do I want to find something, and maybe I'm reaching, but I felt so powerless when Marth answered my phone, left me alone without anyway of getting contact with her, and then finding her asleep in someone else's bed.

"Come here," Marth softly states as she reached for my hand. I let her take it as I sat with her. She looked into my eyes, the brown looking darker than usual. She looks so sad and deeply in regret.

"I'm so sorry," Marth says, her hand cupping my cheek in her hand.

"I know," I say, leaning in to kiss her. Her lips caught mine as I depended it, letting her know I forgive her. She stood up, taking me with her, pushing me against her truck.

"I love you so much, baby," Marth breathes. I smiled into our kiss as I wrapped my arms around her neck, pulling her closer to me.

"Do that somewhere else, faggots!" Someone yelled, making us break the kiss.

"It's twenty-twenty asshole!" Marth fired back. We got in her truck and drove away back to our flat. I texted all the contacts I wanted my new number, letting them know it's been changed. On the way back, I noticed we got followed by the men who shouted at us.

"Marth, we're being followed," I panicked. Marth hit the gas, weaving in and out of traffic as she drove in the opposite direction of home.

"Where are you going?" I asked, looking behind at the lunatics speeding after us.

'They can't know where we live," Marth says. She's too calm about this.

"If we don't pull over, we will get pulled by the police, and I really don't want to explain why I'm running for my life," Marth says.

Marth pulled of into a deserted carl lot. My heart dropped when the other car pulled in.

"Stay in the car, and whatever happens, don't get out," Marth warned. I grabbed her hand, stopping her from getting out.

"Baby, don't," I said, hoping the pet name would change her mind. Marth weakly smiled at me.

"This is the reality of us," Marth quietly speaks. I let go of her hand before she got out. I locked the doors as I watched the man step out of his car. He was a little taller than Marth, which is weird to see. I couldn't hear anything, but inaudible arguing.