6

Calum's POV

When Luke sat down with a huge bruise on his jaw, I didn't know what happened, and then I saw Ashton look down and stand up. He walked his way to the far end of the cafeteria, and sat down against the wall, right near the rubbish bins. Michael laughed and rolled his eyes.

"What's so funny?" I asked. "What's going on?"

"The slut decided to sit over there because I told him to stay away from you. I'm also guessing he moved because it's possible he gave Luke that bruise."

Luke looked innocently up from his tray and for longest moment, he looked like nothing more than a fragile, frightened little animal stuck in the middle of a bloodbath. His eyes were sparkling yet dark and sad and he didn't even bother trying to smile. I instantly felt sorry for him, and even for Ashton. All of this was so confusing and frustrating, and not to mention ridiculous.

"Stop calling him a slut," I scolded Michael. "That's a really hurtful word and it could do a lot to someone."

Michael rolled his eyes again.

"He hurt Luke. Once you mess with Luke, you mess with me."

"But you hate each other?" I said, confused.

"It's more of a love-hate thing."

I sighed and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Michael asked rudely.

"Shove a dick up your ass!" I snapped.

I made my way over to Ashton, who no longer had his food or a tray, and was surrounded by three big meaty guys in sports jackets.

"You got any lunch money left?" the one in the middle, who I was standing directly behind, asked.

"N-No," Ashton quivered.

The closer I looked at Ashton, I noticed a bruise on his nose. Did he and Luke get in a fight!?

"Then we'll just take this from you," the one on the left said, who took the tray away and threw it against the ground. The food splattered all over the place, including on Ashton.

The one on the right kicked him in the side, and Ashton whimpered and cowered into a ball. Okay, now I was pissed.

"Get your meaty asses out of here, soup-for-brains!" I snapped.

They turned around, and I corn-dogged the one in the middle right between the legs, and the other two ran off. I helped Ashton up and ran with him to the bathroom. He threw up in the sink while I rubbed his back. When he was finished he had a drink of water and splashed his face with it. Up close, his nose bruise looked ten times worse. I pulled him into a hug and he burst into tears against my shirt.

"God, Ash, why are you crying?"

"I'm sorry you had to stick up for me. I'm sorry I follow you and ask you stuff. And I'm sorry I had a fight with Luke. I'm sorry Michael hates me. I'm sorry I'm a slut. I hate myself right now."

I pulled him impossibly closer to stop his tears. When he stopped crying, he looked up at me, and quickly pulled away, brushing himself off and clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Sorry," he whispered again.

I suddenly grabbed his face and pressed my lips on his, and when he began to kiss back, I felt myself relax.

Shit.

I pushed myself away, shocked. My mouth hung open and I didn't know what to do or say, but I enjoyed it.

No! No, no, no, this cannot be happening.

"Calum," Ashton gasped.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what got into me," I mumbled.

"It's okay," Ashton sighed. "It's not your fault. It wasn't mine either. It was just a little kiss."

I nodded awkwardly and walked back to the cafeteria with him by my side, but we didn't say a word the entire time. When we got back, Michael and Luke were talking quietly. All I heard was "Ashton", "slut", and "ruined everything".

As Ashton sat down, Luke tensed up and scooted over about an inch. Michael stopped talking and sighed, placing his hands in his lap.

"Guys, I'm sorry," Ashton blurted out. "I fucked everything up and I know I should just leave you guys alone and find new friends, but-"

"Shut up," Michael interrupted.

"Stop being an asshole," I spat at him through gritted teeth.

Michael did stop talking, but Ashton got up again and disappeared into the hall. No one went after him this time.