3

Luke's POV

When Michael asked to hang out, I didn't know what to expect. At first, I was thinking, Why the hell not?

But then I was thinking, Wait, does he hate me?

Then I got confused. When I walked in his room and he sat on his bed without a word, confusion led to fright.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked nervously.

"Ashton. How he likes you."

"L-Likes me?"

"Nah. Just kidding. He likes Calum."

"I don't believe you," I spat. "Why should I?"

"Woah, there, don't get so defensive. It's just a theory."

"I can't trust you! I can't believe your shitty made-up theories. You and I don't like each other. You're probably saying that just to throw me off."

Michael balled his fists.

"Or maybe I really care about you sometimes and I am telling you this to help you!" he screamed.

"Well, I don't need your stupid help, and I don't need stupid you!" I yelled, without thinking twice about my words.

Before I could think at all, he lunged at me and shoved me into a wall.

"You're so inconsiderate!" he spat, tears in his eyes. "Can't you see I'm trying to tell you something that might benefit you in the future? But no, you think I'm some horrid bad guy who hates you. But, Luke, we may not be best friends, but I care about you. It's obvious you couldn't care less about me!"

I felt horrible at the sight of Michael with tears in his eyes, and I reached my hand out to rub his shoulder, but he smacked it away.

"Don't."

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, Michael. I just... I didn't want to believe you. I just couldn't accept the fact that someone I'm in love with would be in love with my best friend."

Michael flopped back on his bed, glaring at me. He didn't know what to say, and neither did I.

"Do you want me to-"

"Don't go."

I didn't. I sat next to him.

"Luke, remember when I was younger, I'd punch you and kick you and throw sand at you and stuff?"

I nodded, cringing at the memories. Michael was the only one of the boys I knew as a toddler.

"I'm sorry."

"Really?"

"No. I just wanted to make you remember," he smiled.

I smiled, too. Because mean Michael was back.